Help my fly

Former Member
Former Member
the butterfly stroke always takes a toll on my lower back, does everybody experience that or have i done the wrong technique? Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
  • 1,000 of meters ??? OK that will kill you no matter what you do. IMHO
  • Butterfly does tend to put more strain on the lower back, but some of that can be mitigated by adjusting your timing and technique. For example, you could be lifting your head/chest too high when you breathe and dropping your hips, arching your lower back. Or you could be going too low in the water, putting most of the pressure on your lower back to force yourself through the water. If you do not have a strong core, most of the pressure will be on your back to move you through the water. Often, there will also be a disconnect between the upper body and the legs, where many swimmers will be using mostly their upper body and back to complete the stroke. This can be adjusted by specific drills that focus on strengthening your core and your legs, and work the leg muscles. Overall, your best bet would be to work with your coach, one-on-one, who can provide you with specific technical feedback that will help you develop a more efficient and less painful butterfly! Good luck!
  • it's probably a technique thing, have you ever injured your back in any way Make a video Put it on youtube write a reply to this thread you started and Provide the link and ask for suggestions
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    My best event was 200m butterfly - when I was fit a few years ago. I’ve suffered terrible back pain for years. I’ve seen chiropractors, osteopath, physios, tried accupuncture and had two MRI scans. I’ve taken practically every prescribed medicine to relieve the pain. I am convinced that swimming thousands of metres a day on butterfly was the cause of it.
  • I do fly breathing with my head to the side like free. Try this to take any neck/back related issues. I find it is also easier to take a breath. Yes it is legal. Side breathing is definitely an alternative. If you try this, Shamu, be sure that you have the ability to breathe bilaterally, at least every other length. Otherwise, you could be putting too much pressure on your neck and you could also be emphasizing an uneven finish of the pull.
  • Side breathing is definitely an alternative. If you try this, Shamu, be sure that you have the ability to breathe bilaterally, at least every other length. Otherwise, you could be putting too much pressure on your neck and you could also be emphasizing an uneven finish of the pull. Exactly. I used to side-breathe fly in high school; however, I am unable to do so now without A LOT of neck pain after awhile. If you have any spinal issues with your neck (I have a boatload!), I would advise against it. Instead, breathe by lifting your head as little as possible, and try to keep your face down looking at the bottom of the pool rather than looking ahead.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    the butterfly stroke always takes a toll on my lower back, does everybody experience that or have i done the wrong technique? As ande said, it could be down to technique. The problem with butterfly though, is that to be really good you will have to do lots of it in training. My posture is bad anyway, due to the day job, so I am at a disadvantage to start with.
  • I do fly breathing with my head to the side like free. Try this to take any neck/back related issues. I find it is also easier to take a breath. Yes it is legal.