Help my fly

Former Member
Former Member
the butterfly stroke always takes a toll on my lower back, does everybody experience that or have i done the wrong technique? Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
Parents
  • Butterfly does tend to put more strain on the lower back, but some of that can be mitigated by adjusting your timing and technique. For example, you could be lifting your head/chest too high when you breathe and dropping your hips, arching your lower back. Or you could be going too low in the water, putting most of the pressure on your lower back to force yourself through the water. If you do not have a strong core, most of the pressure will be on your back to move you through the water. Often, there will also be a disconnect between the upper body and the legs, where many swimmers will be using mostly their upper body and back to complete the stroke. This can be adjusted by specific drills that focus on strengthening your core and your legs, and work the leg muscles. Overall, your best bet would be to work with your coach, one-on-one, who can provide you with specific technical feedback that will help you develop a more efficient and less painful butterfly! Good luck!
  • Butterfly does tend to put more strain on the lower back, but some of that can be mitigated by adjusting your timing and technique. For example, you could be lifting your head/chest too high when you breathe and dropping your hips, arching your lower back. Or you could be going too low in the water, putting most of the pressure on your lower back to force yourself through the water. If you do not have a strong core, most of the pressure will be on your back to move you through the water. Often, there will also be a disconnect between the upper body and the legs, where many swimmers will be using mostly their upper body and back to complete the stroke. This can be adjusted by specific drills that focus on strengthening your core and your legs, and work the leg muscles. Overall, your best bet would be to work with your coach, one-on-one, who can provide you with specific technical feedback that will help you develop a more efficient and less painful butterfly! Good luck!
Children
No Data