Do You "Wash" Your Swimsuit?

Do you wash your swimsuit? I'm talking about putting it in the regular laundry with your other dirty clothes. I don't think I've ever "washed" any of my suits. I feel like it's clean enough coming out of the pool, and then showered in. A couple of years ago I became the sole launderer for my family. We have an in-ground pool and in the summers my work-at-home wife likes to lounge by the pool. But she's a 'bather' and not a fitness swimmer like us. Yet she puts her suits in the laundry. I think it's weird, but it's not a fight I'm going to take on. Just wondering if others wash their swimsuits. Dan
  • I soak mine in the sink with cold water and some mild detergent and do a couple good rinses in cold water, roll them in a towel, take them out and sling them over the tub. Showering doesn't get the chlorine out, and I'm leery of putting an expensive Speedo at the mercy of the laundry machine, even on a hand wash cycle, although folks here may have success tossing theirs in the machine. It's probably not an issue if it's a fashion suit vs. a workout suit. FYI, those machines at some gyms that wring your suits out are awful. They took them out of our rec centers because they destroyed bathing suits and people were complaining.
  • I follow manufactures instructions. Rinse in cold water, squeeze out excess water (do not wring), hang dry (not in direct sunlight). Works good for me.
  • I follow manufactures instructions. Rinse in cold water, squeeze out excess water (do not wring), hang dry (not in direct sunlight). Works good for me. +1. Always read the tag and follow those instructions if you want your suit to last. I've kept track of my suit mileage in my FLOG, and my Speedo Endurance suits as well as my Tyr Durafast suits last about 300 miles. I'm sure that wouldn't have been the case had I not followed the recommendations for care. Sure, my suit smells like chlorine after it dries, but so what? It's going to end up right back in the chlorine the following day! :agree:
  • I love the smell of chlorine in my suit. It doesn't matter what I use, even those special cleaners that are supposed to remove chlorine, they still smell like the pool.
  • +1. Always read the tag and follow those instructions if you want your suit to last. I've kept track of my suit mileage in my FLOG, and my Speedo Endurance suits as well as my Tyr Durafast suits last about 300 miles. I'm sure that wouldn't have been the case had I not followed the recommendations for care. Sure, my suit smells like chlorine after it dries, but so what? It's going to end up right back in the chlorine the following day! :agree: I am bad, I guess. I rinse mine (in the shower), but that's all - then I hang it on my locker. Sure they last 18-24 months (300+ miles) but I get bored with them after a while, I actually rotate about 3-4 suits all the time, cuz, I don't think I could stand wearing the same one every day. But at 18 months or so, I toss them, even if they are still good.
  • For my tech suit I wash on regular with heavy duty detergent, bleach, and then dry on full hot. Once dry I iron it with extra starch. I suggest everyone in my age group follow this regime for performance
  • Anti clor shampoo on me and the suit in the shower , that's all I do.
  • For my tech suit I wash on regular with heavy duty detergent, bleach, and then dry on full hot. Once dry I iron it with extra starch. I suggest everyone in my age group follow this regime for performance Yeah, and I would like to be there when they all get up on the blocks for their first race in their next meet. :D
  • Wash it in the shower after swim practice; wring it by hand slightly then into the suit spinner for a few seconds, not the full cycle. I have never had a suit eaten by the spinner, but then again I only spin a few seconds to get the suit un-drippy, not to actually dry it. I also wash periodically - but not regularly - with regular laundry in the machine on regular cycle - no problem even forgetting and putting through the dry cycle either. I wear a 34 speedo endurance swimsuit, so the material is more lasting, and they wear out when the straps and seams breakdown, not the material itself. For tech suits, I wash in the shower after my last swim. Turn inside out to wash. To dry, wring out slightly. Then lay out 1 or 2 towels and put the suit on it, Fold or roll the towel over and then step on the towel, letting your body weight do the wringing. It should be damp but no longer drippy. Then shake it out, not super hard, but it will let some more water out. Then hang to dry.