WSJ Article on Masters Swimming

Even our friend Aquageek gets a mention! www.wsj.com/.../in-u-s-masters-swimming-training-is-more-important-than-the-race-1438622826 I think the article is fine as far as it goes, but it would be nice if they at least mentioned that competition IS a big facet of masters swimming for lots of us. Sure lots of USMS members do not compete, but how many other adult sports can boast of having an annual national championship event where ~2,000 athletes compete?
  • When you see and talk with people who are triathletes, they identify with the RACE / the "big event" as a key factor in their training. Therein, I think, lies the rub. I don't think you can compare the two sports the way you are doing. Triathlons were originally invented as a competitive sport. The only reason, in my mind, to do a triathlon is to compete. Nobody just goes out and does a "recreational" triathlon on their lunch hour. (well, maybe if they are really weird. :D) Lots of people do go to the pool and swim on their lunch hour, though. Despite how fast (or slow) they might be, triathletes are racing (against themselves, against the clock, against their buddies, whatever). Not so, for swimming. Lots of us in USMS probably swam recreationally in our youth, and only started swimming for fitness later in life. Or got a competitive urge. Some competed, then came back to the sport later in life (to scratch a continuing competitive itch and/or for health reasons). The reasons why people swim vary. Competition isn't always it. I've been in a few meets the past ten years, and I'm still registered with Evanston Masters, so whenever I do enter a meet, any minimal points I might score get thrown their way. If I don't ever swim another meet, I doubt I will die feeling unfulfilled. I know many people swim as many meets as their schedules allow, go to all the Nationals meets, and so forth, but that has simply never been my desire. I doubt if I'm going too far out on a limb suggesting that perspective holds true for many USMS members. Now, maybe I'm looking at things bassackwards. I can accept that. After all, if I'm happy hopping in the lake to swim a mile, or going to the Y to swim laps, why even bother to join USMS? I'm not a highly social animal, so camaraderie isn't part of it for me either. Part of it is just habit. I renew every year. I use the Fitness Log (mostly to record my cycling these days). I can join a USMS-affiliated club and be "good to go", or if I'm out of town for some reason, I can hop in with a local USMS workout group. Maybe I'm just weird.
  • Therein, I think, lies the rub. I don't think you can compare the two sports the way you are doing. Triathlons were originally invented as a competitive sport. The only reason, in my mind, to do a triathlon is to compete. Nobody just goes out and does a "recreational" triathlon on their lunch hour. I guess I differentiate "competing" from "participating" by the objectives of the person. A "competitor" has aspirations to finish in a certain position relative to his or her peers. A "participant" is someone who gets satisfaction just being part of the event, time and finish place be damned. Triathlon attracts plenty of both. For the participant-minded folks, who's primary objective in a triathlon is just to finish, a ladder system of distances exists, from Sprint, to Olympic, to Half Ironman, to full Ironman, that keeps "just finishing" a viable goal for years. Swim meets just don't seem to appeal to as many "participant" minded people as triathlons. I guess its partially because there are no "bragging rights" to be had just by being a participant. Tell a non-athlete you finished a triathlon, and you'll gain instant respect. Tell that same person you swam in a swim meet, and they'll need more information to decide whether or not you're participation is worthy of admiration. "Did you win? How fast are you compared to Michael Phelps? Do you think you could beat my 11 year old niece who swims year round for the local club team? She's really good, my sister says!"
  • Gary, I think you just hit the nail on the head!
  • Interesting comments. I would not have joined if Masters had been all about competing. I joined because of the fitness workout. I think the competitive stats are skewed by people who join so they can train for a triathlon or one specific event then drop out. Which is fine. Each to their own. You can't tell if a person who starts with Masters for fitness today won't go on to swim a meet tomorrow. I think much of it depends on the coach. Some emphasize competition, and that's fine. I swam with a coach who obviously wanted to train competitors because that was his thing. I didn't belong there. I was getting ready to join another less competitive group when this shoulder injury relegated me to the sidelines.
  • Swim meets just don't seem to appeal to as many "participant" minded people as triathlons. I guess its partially because there are no "bragging rights" to be had just by being a participant. Tell a non-athlete you finished a triathlon, and you'll gain instant respect. Tell that same person you swam in a swim meet, and they'll need more information to decide whether or not you're participation is worthy of admiration. "Did you win? How fast are you compared to Michael Phelps? Do you think you could beat my 11 year old niece who swims year round for the local club team? She's really good, my sister says!" Completely disagree. Triathlons and triathletes are a dime for a hundred dozen these days. No one bats an eye anymore when you say you've done a triathlon. People will always raise eyebrows and express admiration when you say you compete in swim meets.
  • Good thoughts. As a former college swimmer, mom of 3 and masters coach, I personally value masters swimming mostly as an outlet for stress and a way to stay fit. My favorite competition is every day in practice. I don't feel like I have the time or the motivation to train seriously for swim meets. As a coach, training good swimmers to be faster is rewarding but not any more rewarding than taking a newbie from barely making it across the pool to swimming full practices. It's a blast when someone goes from disliking swimming to beginning to really understand swimming and enjoying it!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    The New York Times looks at masters track and field: http:/.../
  • Interestingly, some Masters clubs do have certain requirements to join, and they don't seem in line with the everyone is welcome message. Keep in mind that many teams are very limited in space and/or on-deck coaching so they do need to enforce some minimum requirements.
  • Interestingly, some Masters clubs do have certain requirements to join, and they don't seem in line with the everyone is welcome message. I encountered several in my search for different clubs since we're contemplating a move back to New England at some point. This from the website for the BU Masters: Participants should be proficient at three of the four competitive strokes: butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, and freestyle and be able to swim 500 yards in 10 minutes or less before enrolling. Leaves me out.
  • Interestingly, some Masters clubs do have certain requirements to join, and they don't seem in line with the everyone is welcome message. I encountered several in my search for different clubs since we're contemplating a move back to New England at some point. This from the website for the BU Masters: Participants should be proficient at three of the four competitive strokes: butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, and freestyle and be able to swim 500 yards in 10 minutes or less before enrolling. Leaves me out. Just did a quick search and see that BU also has a "Pre-Masters" group, so maybe that would work for you. 110350 - Pre-Masters Prereq: Ability to swim 500 yards continuously in less than 13 minutes (about a 2:30 interval per 100 yards) and competence in freestyle, backstroke and breaststroke. Designed for swimmers who want to gain endurance, learn training techniques, and improve strokes. This program will help prepare swimmers for either a Masters Swim Program or for the use of lap swimming as a form of aerobic exercise.