WSJ Article on Masters Swimming

Even our friend Aquageek gets a mention! www.wsj.com/.../in-u-s-masters-swimming-training-is-more-important-than-the-race-1438622826 I think the article is fine as far as it goes, but it would be nice if they at least mentioned that competition IS a big facet of masters swimming for lots of us. Sure lots of USMS members do not compete, but how many other adult sports can boast of having an annual national championship event where ~2,000 athletes compete?
Parents
  • Swim meets just don't seem to appeal to as many "participant" minded people as triathlons. I guess its partially because there are no "bragging rights" to be had just by being a participant. Tell a non-athlete you finished a triathlon, and you'll gain instant respect. Tell that same person you swam in a swim meet, and they'll need more information to decide whether or not you're participation is worthy of admiration. "Did you win? How fast are you compared to Michael Phelps? Do you think you could beat my 11 year old niece who swims year round for the local club team? She's really good, my sister says!" Completely disagree. Triathlons and triathletes are a dime for a hundred dozen these days. No one bats an eye anymore when you say you've done a triathlon. People will always raise eyebrows and express admiration when you say you compete in swim meets.
  • Swim meets just don't seem to appeal to as many "participant" minded people as triathlons. I guess its partially because there are no "bragging rights" to be had just by being a participant. Tell a non-athlete you finished a triathlon, and you'll gain instant respect. Tell that same person you swam in a swim meet, and they'll need more information to decide whether or not you're participation is worthy of admiration. "Did you win? How fast are you compared to Michael Phelps? Do you think you could beat my 11 year old niece who swims year round for the local club team? She's really good, my sister says!" Completely disagree. Triathlons and triathletes are a dime for a hundred dozen these days. No one bats an eye anymore when you say you've done a triathlon. People will always raise eyebrows and express admiration when you say you compete in swim meets.
Children
No Data