WSJ Article on Masters Swimming

Even our friend Aquageek gets a mention! www.wsj.com/.../in-u-s-masters-swimming-training-is-more-important-than-the-race-1438622826 I think the article is fine as far as it goes, but it would be nice if they at least mentioned that competition IS a big facet of masters swimming for lots of us. Sure lots of USMS members do not compete, but how many other adult sports can boast of having an annual national championship event where ~2,000 athletes compete?
Parents
  • Interestingly, some Masters clubs do have certain requirements to join, and they don't seem in line with the everyone is welcome message. I encountered several in my search for different clubs since we're contemplating a move back to New England at some point. This from the website for the BU Masters: Participants should be proficient at three of the four competitive strokes: butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, and freestyle and be able to swim 500 yards in 10 minutes or less before enrolling. Leaves me out.
  • Interestingly, some Masters clubs do have certain requirements to join, and they don't seem in line with the everyone is welcome message. I encountered several in my search for different clubs since we're contemplating a move back to New England at some point. This from the website for the BU Masters: Participants should be proficient at three of the four competitive strokes: butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, and freestyle and be able to swim 500 yards in 10 minutes or less before enrolling. Leaves me out.
Children
No Data