WSJ Article on Masters Swimming

Even our friend Aquageek gets a mention! www.wsj.com/.../in-u-s-masters-swimming-training-is-more-important-than-the-race-1438622826 I think the article is fine as far as it goes, but it would be nice if they at least mentioned that competition IS a big facet of masters swimming for lots of us. Sure lots of USMS members do not compete, but how many other adult sports can boast of having an annual national championship event where ~2,000 athletes compete?
  • The article won't draw as many people to the pool as Mark Spitz did a generation ago 43 years is more than a generation! :)
  • The article says: But for athletes who—because of injury or a been-there-done-that sense of ennui—have crossed their final finish line, U.S. Masters Swimming offers a way to stay race-day fit in the absence of competition. The group doesn’t pressure its members to compete and reassures prospective members that only 25% of its swimmers do compete. That strategy helps explain why Masters Swimming membership grew about 50% in the 10 years ended in 2014, to more than 62,000, says executive director Rob Butcher. “We want people to swim for health and fitness,” he says. The article isn't likely to draw as many new swimmers as Mark Spitz did a generation ago, but it'll help ...
  • This is a great article that reinforces how unique Masters swimming is. Some members are there to compete (whether in meets, open water events or triathlons), while others are there to have fun. I love it!
  • i just wish the author would have been more consistant. One sentence states that one does not need to be elite to participate in masters or masters competition, but then he proceeds to highlight only elite competitors. I wish that he could have added that "Average Joe" was competing with no hopes of anything but personal glory as well as the accomplishments of the mentioned elites.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    And here's the article in print! 9836
  • Even our friend Aquageek gets a mention! www.wsj.com/.../in-u-s-masters-swimming-training-is-more-important-than-the-race-1438622826 I think the article is fine as far as it goes, but it would be nice if they at least mentioned that competition IS a big facet of masters swimming for lots of us. Sure lots of USMS members do not compete, but how many other adult sports can boast of having an annual national championship event where ~2,000 athletes compete? I agree. If it weren't for swim meets and open water events I would not have considered joining USMS in the first place. Meets are truly the best part of the organization. Well, meets and then beers after meets.
  • I really enjoyed the article, and I think it dispels the popular myth among non-members that it's all about competition or being super athletic. Though, if you are into competition, Masters is a great place to be. I admire those of you who compete, because I can't even imagine the dedication it takes to get in shape for an event.
  • I admire those of you who compete, because I can't even imagine the dedication it takes to get in shape for an event. I think this is another myth that needs to be dispelled. You don't need to be in super condition or an elite swimmer to compete. Enter a masters meet and you'll find there is a big mix of ability levels. Try it, you might like it! If it weren't for competitions I doubt I'd swim. I need the motivation of an upcoming competition to get me in the water.
  • If you like the article I suggest you drop a note to the writer, Kevin Helliker at kevin.helliker@wsj.com Even journalists like to know when one of their stories hit the mark.
  • Darn... now that the writer has dispelled the "elite aura" of master's swimming myth, i have no reason to continue. ;)