WSJ Article on Masters Swimming

Even our friend Aquageek gets a mention! www.wsj.com/.../in-u-s-masters-swimming-training-is-more-important-than-the-race-1438622826 I think the article is fine as far as it goes, but it would be nice if they at least mentioned that competition IS a big facet of masters swimming for lots of us. Sure lots of USMS members do not compete, but how many other adult sports can boast of having an annual national championship event where ~2,000 athletes compete?
Parents
  • Interesting comments. I would not have joined if Masters had been all about competing. I joined because of the fitness workout. I think the competitive stats are skewed by people who join so they can train for a triathlon or one specific event then drop out. Which is fine. Each to their own. You can't tell if a person who starts with Masters for fitness today won't go on to swim a meet tomorrow. I think much of it depends on the coach. Some emphasize competition, and that's fine. I swam with a coach who obviously wanted to train competitors because that was his thing. I didn't belong there. I was getting ready to join another less competitive group when this shoulder injury relegated me to the sidelines.
  • Interesting comments. I would not have joined if Masters had been all about competing. I joined because of the fitness workout. I think the competitive stats are skewed by people who join so they can train for a triathlon or one specific event then drop out. Which is fine. Each to their own. You can't tell if a person who starts with Masters for fitness today won't go on to swim a meet tomorrow. I think much of it depends on the coach. Some emphasize competition, and that's fine. I swam with a coach who obviously wanted to train competitors because that was his thing. I didn't belong there. I was getting ready to join another less competitive group when this shoulder injury relegated me to the sidelines.
Children
No Data