WSJ Article on Masters Swimming

Even our friend Aquageek gets a mention! www.wsj.com/.../in-u-s-masters-swimming-training-is-more-important-than-the-race-1438622826 I think the article is fine as far as it goes, but it would be nice if they at least mentioned that competition IS a big facet of masters swimming for lots of us. Sure lots of USMS members do not compete, but how many other adult sports can boast of having an annual national championship event where ~2,000 athletes compete?
Parents
  • When you see and talk with people who are triathletes, they identify with the RACE / the "big event" as a key factor in their training. Therein, I think, lies the rub. I don't think you can compare the two sports the way you are doing. Triathlons were originally invented as a competitive sport. The only reason, in my mind, to do a triathlon is to compete. Nobody just goes out and does a "recreational" triathlon on their lunch hour. (well, maybe if they are really weird. :D) Lots of people do go to the pool and swim on their lunch hour, though. Despite how fast (or slow) they might be, triathletes are racing (against themselves, against the clock, against their buddies, whatever). Not so, for swimming. Lots of us in USMS probably swam recreationally in our youth, and only started swimming for fitness later in life. Or got a competitive urge. Some competed, then came back to the sport later in life (to scratch a continuing competitive itch and/or for health reasons). The reasons why people swim vary. Competition isn't always it. I've been in a few meets the past ten years, and I'm still registered with Evanston Masters, so whenever I do enter a meet, any minimal points I might score get thrown their way. If I don't ever swim another meet, I doubt I will die feeling unfulfilled. I know many people swim as many meets as their schedules allow, go to all the Nationals meets, and so forth, but that has simply never been my desire. I doubt if I'm going too far out on a limb suggesting that perspective holds true for many USMS members. Now, maybe I'm looking at things bassackwards. I can accept that. After all, if I'm happy hopping in the lake to swim a mile, or going to the Y to swim laps, why even bother to join USMS? I'm not a highly social animal, so camaraderie isn't part of it for me either. Part of it is just habit. I renew every year. I use the Fitness Log (mostly to record my cycling these days). I can join a USMS-affiliated club and be "good to go", or if I'm out of town for some reason, I can hop in with a local USMS workout group. Maybe I'm just weird.
  • When you see and talk with people who are triathletes, they identify with the RACE / the "big event" as a key factor in their training. Therein, I think, lies the rub. I don't think you can compare the two sports the way you are doing. Triathlons were originally invented as a competitive sport. The only reason, in my mind, to do a triathlon is to compete. Nobody just goes out and does a "recreational" triathlon on their lunch hour. (well, maybe if they are really weird. :D) Lots of people do go to the pool and swim on their lunch hour, though. Despite how fast (or slow) they might be, triathletes are racing (against themselves, against the clock, against their buddies, whatever). Not so, for swimming. Lots of us in USMS probably swam recreationally in our youth, and only started swimming for fitness later in life. Or got a competitive urge. Some competed, then came back to the sport later in life (to scratch a continuing competitive itch and/or for health reasons). The reasons why people swim vary. Competition isn't always it. I've been in a few meets the past ten years, and I'm still registered with Evanston Masters, so whenever I do enter a meet, any minimal points I might score get thrown their way. If I don't ever swim another meet, I doubt I will die feeling unfulfilled. I know many people swim as many meets as their schedules allow, go to all the Nationals meets, and so forth, but that has simply never been my desire. I doubt if I'm going too far out on a limb suggesting that perspective holds true for many USMS members. Now, maybe I'm looking at things bassackwards. I can accept that. After all, if I'm happy hopping in the lake to swim a mile, or going to the Y to swim laps, why even bother to join USMS? I'm not a highly social animal, so camaraderie isn't part of it for me either. Part of it is just habit. I renew every year. I use the Fitness Log (mostly to record my cycling these days). I can join a USMS-affiliated club and be "good to go", or if I'm out of town for some reason, I can hop in with a local USMS workout group. Maybe I'm just weird.
Children
No Data