WSJ Article on Masters Swimming

Even our friend Aquageek gets a mention! www.wsj.com/.../in-u-s-masters-swimming-training-is-more-important-than-the-race-1438622826 I think the article is fine as far as it goes, but it would be nice if they at least mentioned that competition IS a big facet of masters swimming for lots of us. Sure lots of USMS members do not compete, but how many other adult sports can boast of having an annual national championship event where ~2,000 athletes compete?
Parents
  • Good thoughts. As a former college swimmer, mom of 3 and masters coach, I personally value masters swimming mostly as an outlet for stress and a way to stay fit. My favorite competition is every day in practice. I don't feel like I have the time or the motivation to train seriously for swim meets. As a coach, training good swimmers to be faster is rewarding but not any more rewarding than taking a newbie from barely making it across the pool to swimming full practices. It's a blast when someone goes from disliking swimming to beginning to really understand swimming and enjoying it!
  • Good thoughts. As a former college swimmer, mom of 3 and masters coach, I personally value masters swimming mostly as an outlet for stress and a way to stay fit. My favorite competition is every day in practice. I don't feel like I have the time or the motivation to train seriously for swim meets. As a coach, training good swimmers to be faster is rewarding but not any more rewarding than taking a newbie from barely making it across the pool to swimming full practices. It's a blast when someone goes from disliking swimming to beginning to really understand swimming and enjoying it!
Children
No Data