2015 Worlds / Who's doping & who's clean

2015 Worlds / Who's doping & who's clean 2015 Worlds Results Day 1 Sun, Aug 2, 2015 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Day 5 Day 6 Day 7 Day 8
  • Just saw on SwimSwam that it is controversial that Lochte was on his back for most of the underwater part of his SDK off the turn to start the freestyle leg and could have been DQd.Why??? that is senseless Those Russians are strange
  • Just saw on SwimSwam that it is controversial that Lochte was on his back for most of the underwater part of his SDK off the turn to start the freestyle leg and could have been DQd.Why??? It is freestyle!! That means any stroke. I know it has to be a different stroke than the first 3 strokes,but he wasn't swimming backstroke,he was swimming SDK. I thought the rules on medley swims was that the 'freestyle' leg had to be a stroke other than the first three. Basically if you're on your back when you leave the wall you are doing legal backstroke, so I think there's a strong case for a DQ. Backstroke rules (aside from turns) are really amazing simplistic: if you are swimming on your back, it's backstroke. Lochte's swim may actually force a clarification on this rule.
  • I thought the rules on medley swims was that the 'freestyle' leg had to be a stroke other than the first three. Basically if you're on your back when you leave the wall you are doing legal backstroke, so I think there's a strong case for a DQ. Backstroke rules (aside from turns) are really amazing simplistic: if you are swimming on your back, it's backstroke. Lochte's swim may actually force a clarification on this rule. Yeah, but you're allowed to be UW SDK-ing for 15 meters in freestyle. It shouldn't make any difference whether you're SDK-ing on your belly, side or back and there's no "past vertical" rule in freestyle like the other strokes. The only "stroke" he took was freestyle. I seem to remember Mike Ross doing this in the 50 free with no issues. Love how the winning man in the 100 free was a former doper from China ... I have no confidence in the integrity of any athlete from Russia or China. I read that the Germans are speculating that Ledecky is doping. She didn't even do her best times in the 200 and 400 free. She's just the best all around freestyler in world right now. And she wouldn't have won the 200 if Sjostrom had swum it. Sjostrom had such a smooth stroke leading off the 800 free relay (and in the 100 free semis). Missy looked like she was flailing next to her. I think Sjostrom should focus on the 100/200 free instead of the 50/100.
  • Yeah, but you're allowed to be UW SDK-ing for 15 meters in freestyle. It shouldn't make any difference whether you're SDK-ing on your belly, side or back and there's no "past vertical" rule in freestyle like the other strokes. The only "stroke" he took was freestyle. Here's the wording of the rule: "in individual medley or medley relay events, freestyle means any style other than backstroke, breaststroke or butterfly" So the question is: does underwater kicking past the vertical toward your back count as backstroke? I think the answer is "no," but it's certainly a little hazy.
  • So the question is: does underwater kicking past the vertical toward your back count as backstroke? I think the answer is "no," but it's certainly a little hazy.The CURRENT rule for backstroke is “The swimmer shall push off on his back and continue swimming on the back throughout the race.” Lochte clearly did not “continue swimming on the back throughout the race”. Therefore it was not a legal backstroke. And a couple of other examples of not-backstroke 1) A swimmer rotates the shoulders vertical towards the back while breathing during freestyle (often seen in younger/newer swimmers). 2) A swimmer flips straight over on freestyle and after pushing off the wall rotates t the towards the *** position to start swimming. Once the feet leave the wall the turn is complete and the stroke begins, even though the swimmer is not on the *** after the turn this is not backstroke. Backstroke and freestyle rules don’t address kicking or arms so it doesn’t matter if you kick or or pull or just float. To swim a legal backstroke “The swimmer shall push off on his back and continue swimming on the back throughout the race.”
  • You've convinced me, Rob. Good examples. Of course this opens up the possibility of using bizarre stroke variations for the fourth stroke in IM: breaststroke pull with a flutter kick, fly pull with a flutter kick, etc. If we're to assume that an illegal version of one of the other strokes counts as a different stroke!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Love how the winning man in the 100 free was a former doper from China. Right. A former doper means that he failed a drug test once but won't be that careless again.
  • btw, nadrian in 7th for the 100....yuck. mens team (as a whole) is not doing good. not the big confidence boost for next year. something is clearly wrong. sure a few stand outs but on a whole not good. He showed up big in the 50 free with an AR .... Though I agree that the state of american sprinting is in serious trouble. Both Franklin and Manual were slower than previous years despite big college seasons (the Cal swimmers are all performing poorly in long course). They should both take a year off next year and just train long course. And I hope that McLaughlin and Baker defer. Worrell, Murphy and Conger are the only ones swimming well despite so much yards training. Not sure why all the hate on swimswam about Murphy. He still swam his best time in the 200 back finals and showed promise with that 52.1 leadoff in the mixed medley. The 16 year old skinny Chinese dude swimming a 51 in the 100 fly is tough to believe ... And I heard a reference to a 16 year old Russian female 200 backstroker who made finals having already tested positive "a few times."
  • yes nathan goes from a dismal 100 to a blistering 50. maybe he looked in the mirror and kicked his own tail after that 100. and the men lose the 4x200...ug! granted gbr had an awesome finisher!
  • yes nathan goes from a dismal 100 to a blistering 50. maybe he looked in the mirror and kicked his own tail after that 100. and the men lose the 4x200...ug! granted gbr had an awesome finisher! I wish he wasn't being so cryptic about his shoulder. Is his poor 100 performance due to that or the fact that he is focusing more on the 50? According to swimswam, it's increasingly difficult to excel at both 50/100. swimswam.com/.../. Yeah, I wish Guy had been able to knock off Sun Yang in the 400. Off topic, but I wonder why Seliskar is performing so badly at nationals?