what to eat after evening practice

I saw the article just posted on the website about pre-and post-workout nutrition. I don't get home until 10 pm from practice, so I'm wondering if there any specific post-workout nutrition tips for those who workout in the evenings. I am hungry, but I don't want to eat too many calories before bed or eat anything that would interfere with sleep. Any suggestions of what to eat or avoid at this time of evening?
  • A good topic--I have an evening practice from which I get home late also. Usually, I have some kind of protein bar right afterward (en route home), sometimes also a few pieces of cheese or a cup of soup when I'm home. This seems to work okay. I keep hearing about the benefits of chocolate milk, but I haven't tested that out. I don't drink much milk to begin with--some on my cereal in the morning, and a sip or two w/ my supplements before bedtime. (For some reason, they go down more comfortably w/ milk than with water.)
  • I also make up a protein shake of milk + choc. protein powder from Costco + cottage cheese+ ice = good for you shake with my salad.
  • You might want to just do a glass or small box of chocolate milk. It's a good source of carb/protein replacement post-workout and would be good to get you through the night. I assume you have a small dinner of some kind before practice, huh?
  • I get a McDonalds southwest salad with grilled chicken & eat it at home at about 10 pm after swim practice.
  • Thanks for the replies! Yes, I eat dinner beforehand. It sounds like I need to find a way to get more protein. I'm afraid the chocolate in milk would keep me wired. I want to get to sleep as soon as possible. I've been eating a bowl of cereal. Maybe I should pack a little plain milk to eat with something (for example, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and some carrots) on my way home.
  • I keep a banana in my swim bag for after swim workouts. I also have a few nutrition bars in my backpack too. I eat a small cup of yogurt (greek style) when I get home.
  • I'm afraid the chocolate in milk would keep me wired. I doubt you have to worry about it. There is not much caffeine in chocolate milk.
  • Do I remember a saying about drinking a warm glass of milk to aid in sleeping?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I get back from my evening practice at about 10:30pm. I try to have a smoothie with milk, protein powder, peanut or almond butter, and a frozen banana which works out to about 700 calories. If you had a good practice I think you need the calories. Sometimes I am lazy and have just protein powder in milk.