what to eat after evening practice

I saw the article just posted on the website about pre-and post-workout nutrition. I don't get home until 10 pm from practice, so I'm wondering if there any specific post-workout nutrition tips for those who workout in the evenings. I am hungry, but I don't want to eat too many calories before bed or eat anything that would interfere with sleep. Any suggestions of what to eat or avoid at this time of evening?
  • thanks for the clarification, Ande ... that helps me narrow it down. So I will rule out eating wake (which I might have eaten during practice), as well as my words (also quite possibly consumed earlier). I'll also restrain myself from eating food that is dancing, such as this banana, which is clearly determined to keep people up too late at night.:banana:
  • The problem with milk is that many people have milk protein allergies or are lactose intolerant without knowing it.I was tested and found to have both.Eliminating milk from my diet made my GI problems disappear. A small,high protein snack before bedtime will help with sleep and supposedly helps with nocturnal HGH secretion.
  • thanks for the clarification, Ande ... that helps me narrow it down. So I will rule out eating wake (which I might have eaten during practice), as well as my words (also quite possibly consumed earlier). I'll also restrain myself from eating food that is dancing, such as this banana, which is clearly determined to keep people up too late at night.:banana: :lmao:That was good! Ande, you have to admit you deserve some :blah: for your wise-a$$ comment! ;)
  • OOPPS I forgot about bad milk reactions. How about when & what do you eat BEFORE swim practice?
  • The problem with milk is that many people have milk protein allergies or are lactose intolerant without knowing it.I was tested and found to have both.Eliminating milk from my diet made my GI problems disappear. I'm going to eliminate milk for a week to see if my GI calms down
  • My Physician suggested milk alternatives like Almond Milk, Coconut Milk, Soy Milk etc.
  • Protein, carbs, and water within about 30+ minutes, I've read. Muscles are most ready to utilize protein during that period after working out. I've used low fat chocolate milk, low fat Greek yogurt, and/or cereal with skim milk quite a bit, sometimes with fruit or berries. Almonds are a good source of protein too, but I'm not sure if they have the full range of amino acids found in animal protein or what difference that might make. A lean whole food high in protein, like - fish, chicken, pork, or lean beef should work well. Whole foods are generally regarded as a better source of protein than processed food, but in a pinch... Have veggies too, both for their nutrients and to promote alkaline blood pH, which apparently helps muscle growth especially later in life. Proteins are generally acidic, so I guess don't over do them. And have your :cake: and eat it too.