Tapering Question

In preparation for Nationals, I was planning a full 3 week taper that would have started today. However, my back had other ideas and I have been dry all week. :badday: I am hoping to be able to swim tomorrow. My question is... do I continue on my regular planned schedule, or do I revise? How much training have I lost? Last good workout was last Friday. My focus events are the 100 and 200 Free. Right now I'm thinking that I should swim hard next week, and taper the 10 days preceding Nationals. :dunno:
  • How have your previous tapers gone? I think this is key. I've done one 3-week taper, and afterward decided never again. Made me feel like I wasn't doing anything, and truthfully the results were just so-so, no better than just an easy day or 2. My best swim meet performance was actually with absolutely no taper at all. I ran about 15 miles early in the morning, ate a huge breakfast, then went to the meet, dove in with absolutely no warm-up at all. I wouldn't recommend it, but it proved to me that the whole taper thing isn't worth getting excited over (for me at least).
  • How have your previous tapers gone? I find that a 10-12 day taper produces good results for me, which includes 7-8 swim sessions. IMHO, if you have been training hard for a while, you really won't lose too much of that training due to being out of the water recently. Keep positive in the work that you have put into this event and don't push it too hard now and risk additional time out of the water.
  • In preparation for Nationals, I was planning a full 3 week taper that would have started today. However, my back had other ideas and I have been dry all week. :badday: I am hoping to be able to swim tomorrow. My question is... do I continue on my regular planned schedule, or do I revise? How much training have I lost? Last good workout was last Friday. My focus events are the 100 and 200 Free. Right now I'm thinking that I should swim hard next week, and taper the 10 days preceding Nationals. :dunno: I wouldn't worry. Pick up your taper and keep going. It's hard to tell how each individual will react to taper but one good rule I've always followed myself and with anyone I'm coaching is if you're going to err, then err on the side of rest. A week of rest after training hard for good period of time will only allow your body to heal. One other thing is that around here we've quit using the term "taper" in favor of "championship prep." Your focus for the next two weeks shouldn't be on fitness, but readiness to race. Drills, short race pace swims, race skills and planning. Your fitness is there, make sure you keep your feel for the water and race skills polished. Just my 2 cents, I'm working through a similar 7 dry days before a meet right now due to a stupid kitchen injury... Good luck! -Isaac
  • As a kid (21 yrs and younger) taper was whatever coach told me to do. I never was really cognizant of what was "tapering" was all about. Now, as a grown up, I've had 2 tapers. First was last year before Indy with a good for nothing coach who hated masters and those who wanted to compete. I had a good meet at Indy, but I think I was over-rested to the point of almost out of shape. The second was this past spring. It was a full 3 week deal, with a coach who customized a plan for me, and I had a great meet. I was hoping to duplicate something like this past spring. I swam this morning for the first time since my back went out. I went with a lot of pace work, and pulling. Eliminating my legs really relieved the pressure on my lower back. After a lot of consideration and input from others, I think that I will put in normal efforts next week, and deal with a 10 day taper before Nationals. At the very least, I won't be over-rested.
  • I swam this morning for the first time since my back went out. I went with a lot of pace work, and pulling. Eliminating my legs really relieved the pressure on my lower back. After a lot of consideration and input from others, I think that I will put in normal efforts next week, and deal with a 10 day taper before Nationals. At the very least, I won't be over-rested. you can work hard for a week and yes do everything to minimize that strain. over-rested???? i would REALLY like to try that sometime. :D
  • Where can I find a good tapering work out? I am 10 days out from a championship competition. My core strokes are in a 25m and 50 meters pool sprint free, fly and ***. Hey, Leann! :welcome: Elaine Krugman, here. :wave: I'll see you in Maryland! I'm heading there after Worlds and some sightseeing in Quebec City. Sorry I can't help you out with a taper workout, but I'm sure somebody here will come up with some good suggestions. As for me, I'll be swimming 400 IM, 200 fly, and 200 *** at Nationals rather than any sprints. Good luck! :cheerleader: Edit: Wait a minute... Nationals is more than 10 days out and you're not on the roster. Which championship are you going to? :confused:
  • Hey Elaine! !!!!! I am heading to the Gay Game's in Cleveland from Aug 8-16. I have a much better chance for medals while all you gals are at World :). Good luck!!!! Unfortunately I won't be in Maryland because I am using my vacation time for Cleaveland. I can't wait to retire so I can swim around the world with you old fish !!!! Good luck at World's and I can't wait to see photos of your medals. Hugs and swim fast girl, I know you can!
  • Hey Elaine! !!!!! I am heading to the Gay Game's in Cleveland from Aug 8-16. I have a much better chance for medals while all you gals are at World :). Good luck!!!! Unfortunately I won't be in Maryland because I am using my vacation time for Cleaveland. I can't wait to retire so I can swim around the world with you old fish !!!! Good luck at World's and I can't wait to see photos of your medals. Hugs and swim fast girl, I know you can! Medals? At Worlds?? :lmao: My only chance for a medal is at Nationals, and that's just because I'm swimming difficult events (400 IM, 200 fly, 200 ***)! Several of my teammates, on the other hand, will medal. :cheerleader: Good luck at the Gay Games, and swim fast! :banana:
  • Where can I find a good tapering work out? I am 10 days out from a championship competition. My core strokes are in a 25m and 50 meters pool sprint free, fly and ***.
  • Can someone help me out? I'm brand new and am wondering what tapers are? Is it shortening workouts up to a race so you're well rested? Sorry for the newbie question, and thanks!