Tapering Question

In preparation for Nationals, I was planning a full 3 week taper that would have started today. However, my back had other ideas and I have been dry all week. :badday: I am hoping to be able to swim tomorrow. My question is... do I continue on my regular planned schedule, or do I revise? How much training have I lost? Last good workout was last Friday. My focus events are the 100 and 200 Free. Right now I'm thinking that I should swim hard next week, and taper the 10 days preceding Nationals. :dunno:
Parents
  • In preparation for Nationals, I was planning a full 3 week taper that would have started today. However, my back had other ideas and I have been dry all week. :badday: I am hoping to be able to swim tomorrow. My question is... do I continue on my regular planned schedule, or do I revise? How much training have I lost? Last good workout was last Friday. My focus events are the 100 and 200 Free. Right now I'm thinking that I should swim hard next week, and taper the 10 days preceding Nationals. :dunno: I wouldn't worry. Pick up your taper and keep going. It's hard to tell how each individual will react to taper but one good rule I've always followed myself and with anyone I'm coaching is if you're going to err, then err on the side of rest. A week of rest after training hard for good period of time will only allow your body to heal. One other thing is that around here we've quit using the term "taper" in favor of "championship prep." Your focus for the next two weeks shouldn't be on fitness, but readiness to race. Drills, short race pace swims, race skills and planning. Your fitness is there, make sure you keep your feel for the water and race skills polished. Just my 2 cents, I'm working through a similar 7 dry days before a meet right now due to a stupid kitchen injury... Good luck! -Isaac
  • In preparation for Nationals, I was planning a full 3 week taper that would have started today. However, my back had other ideas and I have been dry all week. :badday: I am hoping to be able to swim tomorrow. My question is... do I continue on my regular planned schedule, or do I revise? How much training have I lost? Last good workout was last Friday. My focus events are the 100 and 200 Free. Right now I'm thinking that I should swim hard next week, and taper the 10 days preceding Nationals. :dunno: I wouldn't worry. Pick up your taper and keep going. It's hard to tell how each individual will react to taper but one good rule I've always followed myself and with anyone I'm coaching is if you're going to err, then err on the side of rest. A week of rest after training hard for good period of time will only allow your body to heal. One other thing is that around here we've quit using the term "taper" in favor of "championship prep." Your focus for the next two weeks shouldn't be on fitness, but readiness to race. Drills, short race pace swims, race skills and planning. Your fitness is there, make sure you keep your feel for the water and race skills polished. Just my 2 cents, I'm working through a similar 7 dry days before a meet right now due to a stupid kitchen injury... Good luck! -Isaac
Children
No Data