Tapering Question

In preparation for Nationals, I was planning a full 3 week taper that would have started today. However, my back had other ideas and I have been dry all week. :badday: I am hoping to be able to swim tomorrow. My question is... do I continue on my regular planned schedule, or do I revise? How much training have I lost? Last good workout was last Friday. My focus events are the 100 and 200 Free. Right now I'm thinking that I should swim hard next week, and taper the 10 days preceding Nationals. :dunno:
Parents
  • As a kid (21 yrs and younger) taper was whatever coach told me to do. I never was really cognizant of what was "tapering" was all about. Now, as a grown up, I've had 2 tapers. First was last year before Indy with a good for nothing coach who hated masters and those who wanted to compete. I had a good meet at Indy, but I think I was over-rested to the point of almost out of shape. The second was this past spring. It was a full 3 week deal, with a coach who customized a plan for me, and I had a great meet. I was hoping to duplicate something like this past spring. I swam this morning for the first time since my back went out. I went with a lot of pace work, and pulling. Eliminating my legs really relieved the pressure on my lower back. After a lot of consideration and input from others, I think that I will put in normal efforts next week, and deal with a 10 day taper before Nationals. At the very least, I won't be over-rested.
  • As a kid (21 yrs and younger) taper was whatever coach told me to do. I never was really cognizant of what was "tapering" was all about. Now, as a grown up, I've had 2 tapers. First was last year before Indy with a good for nothing coach who hated masters and those who wanted to compete. I had a good meet at Indy, but I think I was over-rested to the point of almost out of shape. The second was this past spring. It was a full 3 week deal, with a coach who customized a plan for me, and I had a great meet. I was hoping to duplicate something like this past spring. I swam this morning for the first time since my back went out. I went with a lot of pace work, and pulling. Eliminating my legs really relieved the pressure on my lower back. After a lot of consideration and input from others, I think that I will put in normal efforts next week, and deal with a 10 day taper before Nationals. At the very least, I won't be over-rested.
Children
No Data