Morton's Neuroma

A neighbor has this condition & is having a second surgery for it. He is a long time casual fitness swimmer & says his doctor said that swimming was the cause. I’ve been a swimmer for most of my life & never heard of swimmers having this type of issue. I searched on the forum & found nothing. Have any of the medically inclined members heard of anything like this? I’m just curious if there is any basis for the statement or is this a misstatement/misinterpretation of the facts.
  • I looked this up at Mayo Clinic. Under causes they list the following: Certain Sports. Participating in high-impact athletic activities such as jogging or running may subject your feet to repetitive trauma. Sports that feature tight shoes, such as snow skiing or rock climbing, can put pressure on you toes. Sure as heck does not sound like anything to do with swimming. Unless of course your neighbor is jogging with tight fins on.
  • A neighbor has this condition & is having a second surgery for it. He is a long time casual fitness swimmer & says his doctor said that swimming was the cause. I’ve been a swimmer for most of my life & never heard of swimmers having this type of issue. I searched on the forum & found nothing. Have any of the medically inclined members heard of anything like this? I’m just curious if there is any basis I've never heard of any swimmer having this issue (Competing ages 7-25, 42-50, 60-63) so it is probably not pevelant. Sounds like swimming with fins might cause this issue? (I don't use fins). For everyone reading this, below is a definition of this condition. What is Morton's neuroma, and what causes it? Morton's neuroma is a swollen or thickened nerve in the ball of your foot. When your toes are squeezed together too often and for too long, the nerve that runs between your toes can swell and get thicker. This swelling can make it painful when you walk on that foot. High-heeled, tight, or narrow shoes can make pain worse. Sometimes, changing to shoes that give your toes more room can help
  • My wife had it.She gave up high heels and it got better.I am not sure how swimming could cause it.
  • I used to swim with a couple of swimmers who, every once in a while, complained that, that portion of their feet did hurt them. They had stated it was caused by their flipturns. I know of a couple of other swimmers who wear regular cotton socks, or swim booties on their feet when utilizing swim fins. That could put extra pressure on that portion of your foot.
  • On turns where I flip too early the balls of my feet can really smack the wall hard enough to bruise them.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I've got it too. Can't wear shoes with a tight toebox. If I try on a pair of shoes and feel a "crunch" in the ball of my foot---I don't buy the shoes. I'm thinking of when you plant your feet for a flip turn and push off on the ball of your foot--you might be aggrevating (sp) a small problem and it becomes larger. Have had mine injected twice and try to wear sports shoes as much as possible. Wearing flip-flops doesn't help much as the padding is to thin under your foot. Will probably look into having it removed after the swim season is over.
  • OOHH YES YOU CAN!! I have/had this from too much walking bare foot & too much pushing off pool walls. I had the 6 shots to try to deaden the nerve- so so results & then Doc. cut the ligament between the 3 -4 toes to allow the inflamed nerve to move into that space without hurting. This has worked for 2 seasons now.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I apologize for bump an old topic from the dead, just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the futureI had a Morton's neuroma. It was confirmed with an ultrasound scan. The scan showed the neuroma to be 13mm by 5mm. I was told by an orthopaedic consultant surgeon that the best option for me was surgery to remove the neuroma. The pain I was getting was excruciating........like really sharp electric shocks. I had the surgery and was on crutches for 2 weeks. The result is BRILLIANT :-) No pain at all. Before the surgery I had tried cushioning in my running orthoses; but it didn't help much. I was told my neuroma was too large for a steroid injection to have a sustained benefit. The surgery removed the neuroma and also some of the actual nerve. The neuroma was between my 3rd and 4th metatarsal. As a consequence of part of the nerve been removed surgically- I now have a persistently numb area between my toes. this I must admit concerned me initially. It feels like a crease is present in my sock. However- I hardly notice it now. I get NO PAIN whatsoever now.From the shoe point of view.......I have recently started running in Hoka one Cliftons I loved them so much that I have also got for my birthday another model of Hoka. These shoes are extremely well cushioned- the best cushioning of any shoe I have tried.Fitz- I hope the yoga sandals help. Please keep us informed how you are getting on. I certainly couldn't run with my neuroma.....it was bad enough walking. Take it easy if you are still able to run. I am guessing running 16m is just aggravating the neuroma.Good Luck!
  • About 2 years ago started developing this intense burning near the tips of and between #3 and 4 little piggies which happens randomly. While swimming it doesn’t burn, but feels like the middle toes are entangled with a hair wrapped around the toe nuckle tightly and goes numb. Most of the time symptoms are very subtle I questioned my PCP about Mortons and he believes it (among others) was likely caused by nerve damage from envenomation years prior- was hit multiple times at base near symptomatic toes. Though it it gets intense at times, I can tolerate it because it’s such a small area
  • ...his doctor said that swimming was the cause. I have MN, and as a runner and bicyclist it can be really painful if/when my shoes are too tight. However I have NEVER felt it when swimming (pushing off the wall). Nor even when running barefoot. But with shoes on it can be like those toes are on fire!!! In fact, on my running shoes, I cut a slit in the material right where the upper material and the sole meet. That allows extra space for my foot to 'splay' out and not be compressed...which causes the inflammation. The only reason I can think of that your friend would feel it while swimming is possibly from wearing tight-fitting fins. But...I use fins and don't feel it for the limited time I have them on. Regarding the the procedure that can be done to permanently kill the nerve that is causing the pain... My podiatrist offered that to me. But the thing is...all feeling is permanently lost in those toes. If I developed a blister while running...I wouldn't feel it, and it could become a bloody, infected mess. So, I just go with cutting my shoes as mentioned above. Bottom line...I don't see how swimming would cause MN. Dan