Morton's Neuroma

A neighbor has this condition & is having a second surgery for it. He is a long time casual fitness swimmer & says his doctor said that swimming was the cause. I’ve been a swimmer for most of my life & never heard of swimmers having this type of issue. I searched on the forum & found nothing. Have any of the medically inclined members heard of anything like this? I’m just curious if there is any basis for the statement or is this a misstatement/misinterpretation of the facts.
Parents
  • ...his doctor said that swimming was the cause. I have MN, and as a runner and bicyclist it can be really painful if/when my shoes are too tight. However I have NEVER felt it when swimming (pushing off the wall). Nor even when running barefoot. But with shoes on it can be like those toes are on fire!!! In fact, on my running shoes, I cut a slit in the material right where the upper material and the sole meet. That allows extra space for my foot to 'splay' out and not be compressed...which causes the inflammation. The only reason I can think of that your friend would feel it while swimming is possibly from wearing tight-fitting fins. But...I use fins and don't feel it for the limited time I have them on. Regarding the the procedure that can be done to permanently kill the nerve that is causing the pain... My podiatrist offered that to me. But the thing is...all feeling is permanently lost in those toes. If I developed a blister while running...I wouldn't feel it, and it could become a bloody, infected mess. So, I just go with cutting my shoes as mentioned above. Bottom line...I don't see how swimming would cause MN. Dan
  • ...his doctor said that swimming was the cause. I have MN, and as a runner and bicyclist it can be really painful if/when my shoes are too tight. However I have NEVER felt it when swimming (pushing off the wall). Nor even when running barefoot. But with shoes on it can be like those toes are on fire!!! In fact, on my running shoes, I cut a slit in the material right where the upper material and the sole meet. That allows extra space for my foot to 'splay' out and not be compressed...which causes the inflammation. The only reason I can think of that your friend would feel it while swimming is possibly from wearing tight-fitting fins. But...I use fins and don't feel it for the limited time I have them on. Regarding the the procedure that can be done to permanently kill the nerve that is causing the pain... My podiatrist offered that to me. But the thing is...all feeling is permanently lost in those toes. If I developed a blister while running...I wouldn't feel it, and it could become a bloody, infected mess. So, I just go with cutting my shoes as mentioned above. Bottom line...I don't see how swimming would cause MN. Dan
Children
No Data