Morton's Neuroma

A neighbor has this condition & is having a second surgery for it. He is a long time casual fitness swimmer & says his doctor said that swimming was the cause. I’ve been a swimmer for most of my life & never heard of swimmers having this type of issue. I searched on the forum & found nothing. Have any of the medically inclined members heard of anything like this? I’m just curious if there is any basis for the statement or is this a misstatement/misinterpretation of the facts.
Parents
  • About 2 years ago started developing this intense burning near the tips of and between #3 and 4 little piggies which happens randomly. While swimming it doesn’t burn, but feels like the middle toes are entangled with a hair wrapped around the toe nuckle tightly and goes numb. Most of the time symptoms are very subtle I questioned my PCP about Mortons and he believes it (among others) was likely caused by nerve damage from envenomation years prior- was hit multiple times at base near symptomatic toes. Though it it gets intense at times, I can tolerate it because it’s such a small area
  • About 2 years ago started developing this intense burning near the tips of and between #3 and 4 little piggies which happens randomly. While swimming it doesn’t burn, but feels like the middle toes are entangled with a hair wrapped around the toe nuckle tightly and goes numb. Most of the time symptoms are very subtle I questioned my PCP about Mortons and he believes it (among others) was likely caused by nerve damage from envenomation years prior- was hit multiple times at base near symptomatic toes. Though it it gets intense at times, I can tolerate it because it’s such a small area
Children
No Data