Nationals: direct streaming of events

I know that the streaming feed is a minimal way of showing the events, but it would certainly help those of us trying to watch particular swimmers if there were a way to actually show the heat numbers. In some past nationals it was possible to hear the meet announcer, but there is too much audience noise on this meet's feed to hear the announcer. Any suggestions on how to deal with this issue and to make the feed a little more useful?
  • See ... you should have made the trip out ;) I agree, though, as I tried to watch the men's 50 free from the hotel room and the live stream was pretty much a blur. I know I watched last year's stream from Indy and that was awesome. Not sure if this is something USMS controls or the facility.
  • men's 50 free from the hotel room and the live stream was pretty much a blur. it was a blur for me too!!! clearly i need more "bionic" parts!!! like say...oh about 10 inches of height i thought *he* might not show up because he wasnt behind the blocks....then just as the starter whistled for us to take the blocks this HUGE shadow cast over me....dang nabbit. i heard the odd heats camera is out of focus a little and that there is no indication of heats or even events. thanks to fina and no more tech suits for men *cough cough my chest razor burn hurts bad please oh please bring these back* it is easy to tell the men and women apart.
  • On top of that, the available bandwidth out here could be better, so we have to limit the resolution we broadcast at, which hurts the image quality. Yes, I too was a little disappointed by the live streaming. A superimposed scoreboard would be very helpful. Some commentary on bandwidth: I have a friend who has been in the software industry for 25+ years. Last year he told me that he can get faster internet in his buddy's hunting cabin in northern Norway than he can at his home or office in Silicon Valley, something like 20x faster actually. I'm not making this up. Internet in the US $uc%$. My brother-in-law visits from Shanghai and can't believe how primitive we are here. I wish we wouldn't keep getting fed a bill of goods about what an advanced technological society we have. Ok rant off.
  • it was a blur for me too!!! clearly i need more "bionic" parts!!! like say...oh about 10 inches of height i thought *he* might not show up because he wasnt behind the blocks....then just as the starter whistled for us to take the blocks this HUGE shadow cast over me....dang nabbit. i heard the odd heats camera is out of focus a little and that there is no indication of heats or even events. thanks to fina and no more tech suits for men *cough cough my chest razor burn hurts bad please oh please bring these back* it is easy to tell the men and women apart. You still did 22 flat in the 50 and 48 in the 100 which in anyone's book is pretty awesome. Combine this with a 10min 1000 and you are the star in my mind. Biondi may have you in the short races but my money is on you any day of the week above a 100. Great meet so far Steve and the best is yet to come tomorrow. Good luck!
  • You still did 22 flat in the 50 and 48 in the 100 which in anyone's book is pretty awesome. Combine this with a 10min 1000 and you are the star in my mind. Biondi may have you in the short races but my money is on you any day of the week above a 100. Great meet so far Steve and the best is yet to come tomorrow. Good luck!Take it from me, Steve is back from shoulder surgery and swimming like it never happened. As far as the video is concerned, I miss the company that video'd each race that we could view afterwards and even purchase.
  • It's fun to watch the swimmers in the pool where I did so well at Nats in 2011.
  • I don't have any experience with them, but I know there are programs out there that let you add real time graphics to live feeds, so these feeds could theoretically have a similar lane assignment graphic to what you see at the Olympics. No idea how much it would cost, or how time intensive it would be to input all the heat/lane assignments into the software, but it is out there at the consumer level.