USPRT Workouts?

Any discussion about adding a new category to your online workouts? Great article in the March-April 2019 Swimmer edition about the success of USPRT. As the writer Jim Thornton wrote: "Perhaps it's time to look into yet another protocol. Masters-USPRT." Perhaps it's time to add it to your online workout section!!!!!
  • I'm also doing USRPT sets of 50 m as well and seeing some progress. Hope it can translate into race performance afterwards. Lol wat? I thought you were aiming for a 5k!
  • Lol wat? I thought you were aiming for a 5k! Most people would say the same thing...but USRPT is all about race pace. All you do is race pace, no pulling, no repeat 500s just race pace. I started USRPT full time in 2014 with the idea of breaking the 400 freestyle record. All I did was 50s at my 400 race pace. I broke the record twice five months later. Training for the 5k you can do race pace 50s, 75s and 100s.
  • Most people would say the same thing...but USRPT is all about race pace. All you do is race pace, no pulling, no repeat 500s just race pace. I started USRPT full time in 2014 with the idea of breaking the 400 freestyle record. All I did was 50s at my 400 race pace. I broke the record twice five months later. Training for the 5k you can do race pace 50s, 75s and 100s. Trust me, I know what USRPT is. It is not going to get a total beginner ready to swim an open water 5k.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Would love this! I bumped an old thread on this recently to see if anyone was interested. I am doing USRPT and really enjoying it and look forward to seeing what I'm able to do with it over the next year or so! I'm also doing USRPT sets of 50 m as well and seeing some progress. Hope it can translate into race performance afterwards.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Would love this! I bumped an old thread on this recently to see if anyone was interested. I am doing USRPT and really enjoying it and look forward to seeing what I'm able to do with it over the next year or so!
  • Gonna be honest here, I think saying "the least important is conditioning" with respect to someone that wants to be a marathon swimmer is way off base. My saying that conditioning is least important may sound like I am saying that conditioning is not important. That is not what I am saying. I am just ranking the three important parts of swimming...kind of like saying $1,000,000 is what I would like to have and $999,999 is the next best amount to have and $999,998 is the least best amount to have. Being efficient (i.e., good technique) in the water particularly when swimming long distance is even more critical because poor technique over a long distance adds up to a poorer outcome. Compare a swimmer competing in the 1650 doing efficient turns i.e., straight into the wall and straight out again, with someone who essentially goes down one side of the lane and comes back on the other side of the lane, almost circle swimming. That swimmer will swim more than 1650 yards and have a poorer outcome than the swimmer doing turns correctly/efficiently.
  • Hey Glenn! Hope all is well with you in SoCal! Unfortunately, I'm training for a 26.4K open water swim this summer, and I do 600-yard repeats trying to hit EXACTLY 8 minutes, on an 8:20 interval. I consider that USRPT. Just curious if you would agree? And...Hey, Jeff! Looks like you're swimming VERY fast. Good luck in Mesa (I thought I saw that you were going).
  • Any discussion about adding a new category to your online workouts? Great article in the March-April 2019 Swimmer edition about the success of USPRT. As the writer Jim Thornton wrote: "Perhaps it's time to look into yet another protocol. Masters-USPRT." Perhaps it's time to add it to your online workout section!!!!! I was surprised to hear sprinter, Doug Martin added it.
  • Hey Glenn! Hope all is well with you in SoCal! Unfortunately, I'm training for a 26.4K open water swim this summer, and I do 600-yard repeats trying to hit EXACTLY 8 minutes, on an 8:20 interval. I consider that USRPT. Just curious if you would agree? And...Hey, Jeff! Looks like you're swimming VERY fast. Good luck in Mesa (I thought I saw that you were going). Wow, 26.4K... I don't do that in a month! If you are going to failure on your 600 repeats I guess that could be considered USRPT! Best of luck.
  • I think USRPT works on me because it forces me to use the best technique I have got in order to make the target time at race pace (the idea of specificity), which no other kind of training provides these stimulants. Which means it's a really fantastic way to drill in bad habits if you haven't learned repeatable correct technique yet. I was surprised to hear sprinter, Doug Martin added it. Seems perfect for someone like him - drop-dead sprinter in his 60s, I'm sure he has to make the most out of his top end efforts training.