Strava for open water swimmin

Has anyone used your (waterproof-moisture protected) cell phone and the Strava app for recording open water swimming? I'm just wondering how the GPS function works at water level. I have a Garmin FR-10...it's waterproof but intended for overland applications, and not designed to operate (correctly) at water level. Consequently the graphic of my swim routes looks like a zigzag, and adds as much as a mile to a two-mile swim. Dan
  • I haven't used my phone and Strava, but I do use the Garmin FR-10 mounted in the back of my cap (was it you who suggested this?), and it maps my swims pretty accurately. I was going to try Strava in a tow float soon.
  • I have a 310XT which tracks horribly in water when worn on the wrist, but does pretty well when I detach it from the strap (I have a quick release so I can mount it on the bike), run my goggle straps through it, and put it under my cap. I have a pair of triathlon shorts with a small zip pocket in the back of the waist. It's intended for gels, but next time I get the chance to swim in open water, I'm gonna throw the watch in there and see how it tracks.
  • I have simulataneously used the Ride with GPS app on my phone (in a ziplock bag with my kayaker) and my Garmin 920 XT. The map is better above water, but I prefer the watch due to having stroke data. I wouldn't want to chance having my phone on my person or swim buoy. However lots of people use running watches in their swim cap or swim buoy
  • No strava or GPS here. My watch records OWS but not very accurately. Still, close enough for me. It depends on the stroke length setting being accurate and even examining pool workouts, mine is inconsistent, so I sort of average it. Funny story: I updated the firmware on my watch some time ago and forgot to reset the SL. Next OWS it was set way too high and recorded a half mile loop as 1600 yds. I thought, wow that was easy for an almost mile.
  • I have something similar to the kiefer safeswimmer bag. I place my phone in the bag and start gps tracking software inside and off I go.
  • I haven't used my phone and Strava, but I do use the Garmin FR-10 mounted in the back of my cap (was it you who suggested this?), and it maps my swims pretty accurately. I was going to try Strava in a tow float soon. It may have been me. Someone suggested it to me...although I've never tried that with my own FR-10. Dan
  • I have something similar to the kiefer safeswimmer bag. I place my phone in the bag and start gps tracking software inside and off I go. How has that worked? Do you get an accurate measurement of your swim? Dan
  • It may have been me. Someone suggested it to me...although I've never tried that with my own FR-10. Dan Here is a link to the first time I loaded the FR-10 in my cap (I uploaded the result to Strava). The event was a 10K and it measured my course accurately. www.strava.com/.../1512101469 The challenge in using in an event is getting it in the back of my cap without activating the "run" button inadvertently getting it in there or with a goggle strap, but so far I've only had fail to track my swim once. And every swim I've tracked with it has read accurately.
  • It seemed accurate. I think I used one of my running apps to get my gps information
  • Well...although I had suggested putting the Garmin FR-10 inside the back of your swim cap...I had never actually tried it myself...until the other day. I swam a course around the mooring field at a nearby beach. I wasn't sure how accurate the distance measurement was. According to the FR-10 it came out to about 500m per lap. But wanted to check it agains the measurement of another swim there. I swam it again this morning and the measurement is significantly different...about 600m per lap. Dan