Strava for open water swimmin

Has anyone used your (waterproof-moisture protected) cell phone and the Strava app for recording open water swimming? I'm just wondering how the GPS function works at water level. I have a Garmin FR-10...it's waterproof but intended for overland applications, and not designed to operate (correctly) at water level. Consequently the graphic of my swim routes looks like a zigzag, and adds as much as a mile to a two-mile swim. Dan
Parents
  • Well...although I had suggested putting the Garmin FR-10 inside the back of your swim cap...I had never actually tried it myself...until the other day. I swam a course around the mooring field at a nearby beach. I wasn't sure how accurate the distance measurement was. According to the FR-10 it came out to about 500m per lap. But wanted to check it agains the measurement of another swim there. I swam it again this morning and the measurement is significantly different...about 600m per lap. Dan
  • Well...although I had suggested putting the Garmin FR-10 inside the back of your swim cap...I had never actually tried it myself...until the other day. I swam a course around the mooring field at a nearby beach. I wasn't sure how accurate the distance measurement was. According to the FR-10 it came out to about 500m per lap. But wanted to check it agains the measurement of another swim there. I swam it again this morning and the measurement is significantly different...about 600m per lap. Dan
Children
No Data