Strava for open water swimmin

Has anyone used your (waterproof-moisture protected) cell phone and the Strava app for recording open water swimming? I'm just wondering how the GPS function works at water level. I have a Garmin FR-10...it's waterproof but intended for overland applications, and not designed to operate (correctly) at water level. Consequently the graphic of my swim routes looks like a zigzag, and adds as much as a mile to a two-mile swim. Dan
Parents
  • I have simulataneously used the Ride with GPS app on my phone (in a ziplock bag with my kayaker) and my Garmin 920 XT. The map is better above water, but I prefer the watch due to having stroke data. I wouldn't want to chance having my phone on my person or swim buoy. However lots of people use running watches in their swim cap or swim buoy
  • I have simulataneously used the Ride with GPS app on my phone (in a ziplock bag with my kayaker) and my Garmin 920 XT. The map is better above water, but I prefer the watch due to having stroke data. I wouldn't want to chance having my phone on my person or swim buoy. However lots of people use running watches in their swim cap or swim buoy
Children
No Data