Chesapeake Bay Swim wetsuit?

I'm swimming the Chesapeake Bay Swim in a few weeks and I'm debating whether I need a wetsuit. In past years the temperature has been up or down, and I'm not sure what it's likely to be this year. For what it's worth, I'm likely to be toward the front of the race, and don't have a ton of body fat. I don't have a wetsuit right now, so if I'm going to get one, I need to get in gear asap. Advice, please!
  • High 60s to mid 70s is really helpful. I'll probably bring one and decide on the weekend. Is there any good predictive website for water temp? I don't know how the Bay warms.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I spent 3 hours in the Bay this morning without a wetsuit and it felt great. Water temp in mid 60's. I agree with Chaos that it is whatever you are comfortable with but most will wear one anyway for speed. It will most likely warm up to low to mid 70's in next 3 weeks. This has all of the historical info and a link where you can follow current temps. It is a great event. See you in 3 weeks. bayswim.awardspace.info/past_conditions.html
  • Former Member
    Wetsuits are too common in this event. Many swimmers that don’t need them wear them anyway, but you’re asking for advice from others about something they can’t possibly answer for you. What is the low end temperature you are comfortable swimming in for 2 hours? You can assume the bay to be high 60’s to mid 70’s for the event, and air temps could be anywhere from 60 - 90 degrees with wind less than 20 mph. My CG permits are invalid when the wind is greater than 20 knots, so I’ll assume the bay swim has a similar limit. Have fun... its a great swim.
  • Most wear wetsuits..if you are there to place wear your suit....
  • Former Member
    Most wear wetsuits..if you are there to place wear your suit.... There are always a few bareback swimmers in the top 20 overall.
  • Water and air temps have been generally cooler than average on the east coast and I would expect (guess) they'll be in the lower range of the previous years. Water currents, tides and storms can change things quickly. You'll have to decide what you are comfortable doing. It's seemed to me that lots of good swimmers wear wetsuits for that race, if for no other reason than speed. If you are not used to swimming in a wetsuit, don't wait until the day of to try it on and swim. try to get a least a few mile in and use Body Glide on the points wear the wetsuit may rub, like neck and arm pits. Hope you enjoy and good luck.
  • Thanks for the information, all. It seemed like a swim where wetsuits are encouraged, which was a bit odd to me. Good to have some perspective.
  • I'd like to do reasonably well, so it's looking like wetsuit for me. I tried on my old one tonight, though, and it's too tight. The perils of moving from triathlon to exclusively swimming!
  • Former Member
    I'd like to do reasonably well, so it's looking like wetsuit for me. I tried on my old one tonight, though, and it's too tight. The perils of moving from triathlon to exclusively swimming! Make sure you have plenty of time to train in the new suit. Do not have your first long swim in the suit be the Chesapeake Bay Swim! For some reason the event organizers do not have separate divisions for wetsuit/skins. You do get a boost in speed from the suit and that is why most swimmers wear them in the Chesapeake Bay Swim. Just make sure it isn't a sunny day or the water is in the 80s or you will overheat.