Chesapeake Bay Swim wetsuit?

I'm swimming the Chesapeake Bay Swim in a few weeks and I'm debating whether I need a wetsuit. In past years the temperature has been up or down, and I'm not sure what it's likely to be this year. For what it's worth, I'm likely to be toward the front of the race, and don't have a ton of body fat. I don't have a wetsuit right now, so if I'm going to get one, I need to get in gear asap. Advice, please!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Wetsuits are too common in this event. Many swimmers that don’t need them wear them anyway, but you’re asking for advice from others about something they can’t possibly answer for you. What is the low end temperature you are comfortable swimming in for 2 hours? You can assume the bay to be high 60’s to mid 70’s for the event, and air temps could be anywhere from 60 - 90 degrees with wind less than 20 mph. My CG permits are invalid when the wind is greater than 20 knots, so I’ll assume the bay swim has a similar limit. Have fun... its a great swim.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Wetsuits are too common in this event. Many swimmers that don’t need them wear them anyway, but you’re asking for advice from others about something they can’t possibly answer for you. What is the low end temperature you are comfortable swimming in for 2 hours? You can assume the bay to be high 60’s to mid 70’s for the event, and air temps could be anywhere from 60 - 90 degrees with wind less than 20 mph. My CG permits are invalid when the wind is greater than 20 knots, so I’ll assume the bay swim has a similar limit. Have fun... its a great swim.
Children
No Data