Chesapeake Bay Swim wetsuit?

I'm swimming the Chesapeake Bay Swim in a few weeks and I'm debating whether I need a wetsuit. In past years the temperature has been up or down, and I'm not sure what it's likely to be this year. For what it's worth, I'm likely to be toward the front of the race, and don't have a ton of body fat. I don't have a wetsuit right now, so if I'm going to get one, I need to get in gear asap. Advice, please!
Parents
  • Water and air temps have been generally cooler than average on the east coast and I would expect (guess) they'll be in the lower range of the previous years. Water currents, tides and storms can change things quickly. You'll have to decide what you are comfortable doing. It's seemed to me that lots of good swimmers wear wetsuits for that race, if for no other reason than speed. If you are not used to swimming in a wetsuit, don't wait until the day of to try it on and swim. try to get a least a few mile in and use Body Glide on the points wear the wetsuit may rub, like neck and arm pits. Hope you enjoy and good luck.
  • Water and air temps have been generally cooler than average on the east coast and I would expect (guess) they'll be in the lower range of the previous years. Water currents, tides and storms can change things quickly. You'll have to decide what you are comfortable doing. It's seemed to me that lots of good swimmers wear wetsuits for that race, if for no other reason than speed. If you are not used to swimming in a wetsuit, don't wait until the day of to try it on and swim. try to get a least a few mile in and use Body Glide on the points wear the wetsuit may rub, like neck and arm pits. Hope you enjoy and good luck.
Children
No Data