Chesapeake Bay Swim wetsuit?

I'm swimming the Chesapeake Bay Swim in a few weeks and I'm debating whether I need a wetsuit. In past years the temperature has been up or down, and I'm not sure what it's likely to be this year. For what it's worth, I'm likely to be toward the front of the race, and don't have a ton of body fat. I don't have a wetsuit right now, so if I'm going to get one, I need to get in gear asap. Advice, please!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I'd like to do reasonably well, so it's looking like wetsuit for me. I tried on my old one tonight, though, and it's too tight. The perils of moving from triathlon to exclusively swimming! Make sure you have plenty of time to train in the new suit. Do not have your first long swim in the suit be the Chesapeake Bay Swim! For some reason the event organizers do not have separate divisions for wetsuit/skins. You do get a boost in speed from the suit and that is why most swimmers wear them in the Chesapeake Bay Swim. Just make sure it isn't a sunny day or the water is in the 80s or you will overheat.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I'd like to do reasonably well, so it's looking like wetsuit for me. I tried on my old one tonight, though, and it's too tight. The perils of moving from triathlon to exclusively swimming! Make sure you have plenty of time to train in the new suit. Do not have your first long swim in the suit be the Chesapeake Bay Swim! For some reason the event organizers do not have separate divisions for wetsuit/skins. You do get a boost in speed from the suit and that is why most swimmers wear them in the Chesapeake Bay Swim. Just make sure it isn't a sunny day or the water is in the 80s or you will overheat.
Children
No Data