Sh-sh-shark!

Former Member
Former Member
You probably know what's coming next. Should I have genuine concerns about having my leg ripped off by a shark, while in the sea? I want to start getting some open water swims in, but being in FL., I'm a bit nervous about it. Any thoughts or suggestions? Peace...
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 19 years ago
    Originally posted by F'ueco But the women that do the open water swimming can make it worthwhile as well... THANKS!! as a buddy of mine says, "women who swim tend to have better physiques than those who do not." duh!! by the way, I have a little story about lifeguards and ow swims. Last summer during the 3KM at the World Championships in Riccione (Italy) I got to the 2nd buoy and paused to look around to sight the 3rd (which was VERY far away and impossible to see)... The lifeguard on the boat said, "GO! GO!" and I said, "Which way?" (is that breaking the rules???) The truth is, I took one look and fell in love. So I just hung out for a while, chatting... then decided to proceed with the race when about 5 women had passed me. Never saw the guy again. And yes, that was just an excuse for why I did so poorly at the Champs... :rolleyes:
  • Former Member
    What i want to know is how you are supposed to avoid swimming through clouds of baitfish. THey just suddenly ball up around me at times. I'm not actually worried about sharks but all the recent lit seems to warn about the fish.
  • Originally posted by Guvnah Two men were walking in the woods. Suddenly a bear started coming towards them. One guy immediately started putting on running shoes. The other chided him, "Do you really think you can outrun a bear?" The first guy replied, "I don't have to. I only have to outrun you." Moral of the story -- always swim with someone slower than you. :) ;) But maybe you'll get a shark that likes the challenge of catching the leader....
  • Former Member
    What's wrong with swimming through baitfish? (Shark issues aside, I think the fishies are kinda cute)
  • Former Member
    About fish, its just the shark issue. I'm not actually worried about the shark more bemused by this "advice". WHen I used to sail off the east coast they would say "if you see bubbles rising in a cloud around you back up" (to avoid whales) as if a sialboat could... This advice seems similar. I like swimming withthe fishies too!
  • Former Member
    "I like swimming withthe fishies" It could be arranged... Just kidding. :p
  • Former Member
    Hey I'm working on that part just fine all by myself. I've been testing my recovery all winter by seeing how big a surf break I can swim through without total failure...
  • Originally posted by geochuck Here is my buddy the shark "Do not enter the water if sharks are known to be present and evacuate the water if sharks are seen while there. And, of course, do not harass a shark if you see one!" Um... George, in the photo were you harassing the shark or was the shark harassing you? ;)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    Here is my buddy the shark
  • What if you wear a Fastkin sharkskin suit?