Sh-sh-shark!

Former Member
Former Member
You probably know what's coming next. Should I have genuine concerns about having my leg ripped off by a shark, while in the sea? I want to start getting some open water swims in, but being in FL., I'm a bit nervous about it. Any thoughts or suggestions? Peace...
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 18 years ago
    I've heard that it's bad to wear anything dolphin-colored, as in grey or light blue wetsuits. I guess sharks are more interested if they think you're a dolphin...
  • Former Member
    I never actually saw him he was on the right side and I breathe on the left. The coastgard told me it was a 14 foot white shark. He harrassed me for 10 miles.
  • Originally posted by geochuck I never actyually saw him he was on the right side and I breathe on the left. The coastgard told me it was a 14 foot white shark. He harrassed me for 10 miles. Ah, he must have been lonely and needed some company! :) Seriously, I think if I'd turned around and seen a shark that close, my heart would stop. Yikes! Interesting that it just swam alongside you that long without making a move to attack....
  • Former Member
    He was only beside us for a few hundred yards and then dropped in about 200 yards behind us for the next ten miles.
  • Originally posted by FindingMyInnerFish Interesting that it just swam alongside you that long without making a move to attack.... I've heard that sharks are attracted to thrashing and splashing, as it mimics the sounds of a wounded fish. Maybe the shark was waiting for that, and grew bored when George's smooth stroke technique didn't change.
  • Originally posted by mattson I've heard that sharks are attracted to thrashing and splashing, as it mimics the sounds of a wounded fish. Maybe the shark was waiting for that, and grew bored when George's smooth stroke technique didn't change. Good point... and George has also, I suspect, built up the right kind of karma.... Sixty Minutes had an interesting segment on sharks last night... sounded as if they have as much to fear from people as people do from them--especially the people going after shark fins, cutting them off the shark and then throwing the still alive shark back into the water.... that just hurt to see! Self-defense, yes, but deliberate cruelty for a profit? :mad:
  • Former Member
    Where in Florida (generally) do you swim? And when is 'shark migration season,' exactly? Oh, and how far from shore CAN we swim safely?
  • Former Member
    Flagler Beach, Florida. Shark migration begins the end of July. You'd have to watch the news to know exactly when it would end, since it varies. We swim so far offshore because there are two sandbars we need to pass. Sometimes sharks get stuck between the sandbars; we in turn go to the deep water. Additionally, on average we have 10 swimmers on an ocean swim which increases the safety factor. We also do our swims pared back for the slowest swimmers. As a group, it's much safer out there. No one swims alone.
  • Former Member
    I was actually bumped by a shark this past Sunday during our ocean swim, glad it was me (the coach) and not one of my swimmers. We swim about 1000 yards offshore to avoid the sandbars. Anyway, we swam back to shore, kept our composure and that was that. Actually, here in Florida most of the sharks are kind of small, so if we do get bit, we just get bit. As opposed to having something bit off. We're getting into shark migration season, so we'll probably be pulling the open water's back a bit.
  • Former Member
    I can understand about the sandbars... Swim well...