Dryland Training For Swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I am looking to see what everyone out there is doing for there dryland program or strength program. I work at a facility called IHPSWIM and we take a functional approach to our training. We are taking the intensity to the next level since taper is right around the corner, Here is what we did yesterday with the Fort Lauderdale aquatics of Boca Raton. Leg Circuit 3 x 24 squats 24 lunges 24 split jumps 12 jump squats (we do this twice through non - stop in under 2:30) That is a total of 6 sets - killer leg workout! We finished with some core work and some rope climbing. What are you guys doing out there or what questions do you have? Grif Fig Founder of IHPSWIM
  • I work with weights 3 days a week. I usually do a push/pull type circuit with sit ups and a squat/jumps set in between. 30+ pushups 15+ ez curls situps/leg raises/other ab exercise 20+ dips 15+ lat pulldowns squats/jump sets I tend to do lower weight/higher reps since it seems to be easier on my shoulders. I go through this circuit 4-6 times with little rest. Sometimes I split the set with a 20-30min run on the treadmill. Whole thing with the run takes about an hour. This is amazingly close to my routine. How long have you been using it? Has it had a demonstrable effect on your swimming?
  • I've been doing this routine for about 2 months now..in the begining I could only do 2 sets of each with only 20 pushups each set....as far as how its affecting my swimming..IDK I haven't been timed since nationals but I definatly feel stronger in practice. I've held some really good 10x50 sprint sets during practice over the last two weeks and from the jump squats I feel a bit more oooooomph coming off walls.
  • Some time ago I posted this question: Suppose I do 3 different exercises (e.g. planks, curls, squats). What are the relative merits of doing them in a cycle (planks, curls, squats, planks, curls, squats...) versus doing them serially, (planks, planks, planks, curls, curls, curls, squats, squats, squats...)? Grif replied: Its not exactly the pattern you do - its the rest between sets. For example of I do 3 sets of planks for 1 minute and take 30 seconds rest in between it would be beneficial to do some pull ups during the rest period. Reall, its the difference of doin another exercise during your rest time between planks instead of just sitting there. So now I am thinking about how this relates to swimming sets. Consider this 1600 yd set: 8x(100 AFAP + 100 active recovery)/4:00 - do 4 of them freestyle and 4 backstroke. I have found that I can swim faster times and hurt less if I alternate fr, bk, fr, bk... than if I do the first 4 one stroke and the second 4 the other stroke. Is there any good reason to believe that is better to alternate strokes, or swim them in groups? I tend to think that since the goal is to train to swim fast, it is better to do them in whatevery way yields teh fastest swims. On the other hand, sometimes I think it is mentally easier to get one group over with, then tackle the next group... maybe the difference is insignificant and it would be more beneficial to just go do some drylands than sit at the computer terminal and split hairs over minutia...
  • I was just using these exercises as an example to make my point. As far as the debate between lower and upper body exercises goes, there is no reason not to do both (aside from injury or limitations). Lower body should be emphasized more in breaststrokers than others. However, lower body strength and power exercises are going to translate into more power in the start and the turn for any swimmer. Not to mention a properly performed squat will work a huge chunk of the body.
  • During our strength circuit we might alternate a squat with a plank. The plank will not cause you to fatigue during the squat since the are working different muscles in different ways. If I want to cause more fatigue I can do all the squats in a row and then do all the planks in a row. I believe this concept can be applied to swimming. This is exactly what I am trying to understand. What are the relative merits of causing more fatigue, versus alternating exercises so that you do each one with less fatiigue?
  • This is exactly what I am trying to understand. What are the relative merits of causing more fatigue, versus alternating exercises so that you do each one with less fatiigue? When you're trying to cause more fatigue - and seeing what your body can handle - you're training more so for endurance (less rest between sets). When you're alternating - you're training more so for strength and or power (depending on your interval - more rest)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    I would think less squats for swimming & more arms. I was just using these exercises as an example to make my point. As far as the debate between lower and upper body exercises goes, there is no reason not to do both (aside from injury or limitations). Lower body should be emphasized more in breaststrokers than others. However, lower body strength and power exercises are going to translate into more power in the start and the turn for any swimmer.
  • I would think less squats for swimming & more arms.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    Some time ago I posted this question: Grif replied: So now I am thinking about how this relates to swimming sets. Consider this 1600 yd set: 8x(100 AFAP + 100 active recovery)/4:00 - do 4 of them freestyle and 4 backstroke. I have found that I can swim faster times and hurt less if I alternate fr, bk, fr, bk... than if I do the first 4 one stroke and the second 4 the other stroke. Is there any good reason to believe that is better to alternate strokes, or swim them in groups? I tend to think that since the goal is to train to swim fast, it is better to do them in whatevery way yields teh fastest swims. On the other hand, sometimes I think it is mentally easier to get one group over with, then tackle the next group... maybe the difference is insignificant and it would be more beneficial to just go do some drylands than sit at the computer terminal and split hairs over minutia... During our strength circuit we might alternate a squat with a plank. The plank will not cause you to fatigue during the squat since the are working different muscles in different ways. If I want to cause more fatigue I can do all the squats in a row and then do all the planks in a row. I believe this concept can be applied to swimming.
  • When you're trying to cause more fatigue - and seeing what your body can handle - you're training more so for endurance (less rest between sets). Ok, I can buy that, so here is a related question about fatigue: Should I take the stairs or the elevator? Let me generalize. Suppose a swimmer is diligently doing daily swim workouts and/or dryland sessions. Further suppose that this swimmer isn't trying to lose weight. Does it make sense to use the elevator, so the legs aren't so tired for the next swim or weight workout, or is more leg work better, period? My sense is that it really does matter and that one should preserve effort for the real workouts where it really counts. In defense of this position, I note the urban legend that when in training, Lance Armstrong always used the elevator, even though his apartment was only on the second floor. Swimming isn't as leg intense as cycling, but legs certainly do matter. Then again, Lance was working out many hours each day, not 1-2 like the vast majority of us on these forums.