Dryland Training For Swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I am looking to see what everyone out there is doing for there dryland program or strength program. I work at a facility called IHPSWIM and we take a functional approach to our training. We are taking the intensity to the next level since taper is right around the corner, Here is what we did yesterday with the Fort Lauderdale aquatics of Boca Raton. Leg Circuit 3 x 24 squats 24 lunges 24 split jumps 12 jump squats (we do this twice through non - stop in under 2:30) That is a total of 6 sets - killer leg workout! We finished with some core work and some rope climbing. What are you guys doing out there or what questions do you have? Grif Fig Founder of IHPSWIM
Parents
  • Some time ago I posted this question: Suppose I do 3 different exercises (e.g. planks, curls, squats). What are the relative merits of doing them in a cycle (planks, curls, squats, planks, curls, squats...) versus doing them serially, (planks, planks, planks, curls, curls, curls, squats, squats, squats...)? Grif replied: Its not exactly the pattern you do - its the rest between sets. For example of I do 3 sets of planks for 1 minute and take 30 seconds rest in between it would be beneficial to do some pull ups during the rest period. Reall, its the difference of doin another exercise during your rest time between planks instead of just sitting there. So now I am thinking about how this relates to swimming sets. Consider this 1600 yd set: 8x(100 AFAP + 100 active recovery)/4:00 - do 4 of them freestyle and 4 backstroke. I have found that I can swim faster times and hurt less if I alternate fr, bk, fr, bk... than if I do the first 4 one stroke and the second 4 the other stroke. Is there any good reason to believe that is better to alternate strokes, or swim them in groups? I tend to think that since the goal is to train to swim fast, it is better to do them in whatevery way yields teh fastest swims. On the other hand, sometimes I think it is mentally easier to get one group over with, then tackle the next group... maybe the difference is insignificant and it would be more beneficial to just go do some drylands than sit at the computer terminal and split hairs over minutia...
  • Some time ago I posted this question: Suppose I do 3 different exercises (e.g. planks, curls, squats). What are the relative merits of doing them in a cycle (planks, curls, squats, planks, curls, squats...) versus doing them serially, (planks, planks, planks, curls, curls, curls, squats, squats, squats...)? Grif replied: Its not exactly the pattern you do - its the rest between sets. For example of I do 3 sets of planks for 1 minute and take 30 seconds rest in between it would be beneficial to do some pull ups during the rest period. Reall, its the difference of doin another exercise during your rest time between planks instead of just sitting there. So now I am thinking about how this relates to swimming sets. Consider this 1600 yd set: 8x(100 AFAP + 100 active recovery)/4:00 - do 4 of them freestyle and 4 backstroke. I have found that I can swim faster times and hurt less if I alternate fr, bk, fr, bk... than if I do the first 4 one stroke and the second 4 the other stroke. Is there any good reason to believe that is better to alternate strokes, or swim them in groups? I tend to think that since the goal is to train to swim fast, it is better to do them in whatevery way yields teh fastest swims. On the other hand, sometimes I think it is mentally easier to get one group over with, then tackle the next group... maybe the difference is insignificant and it would be more beneficial to just go do some drylands than sit at the computer terminal and split hairs over minutia...
Children
No Data