Dryland Training For Swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I am looking to see what everyone out there is doing for there dryland program or strength program. I work at a facility called IHPSWIM and we take a functional approach to our training. We are taking the intensity to the next level since taper is right around the corner, Here is what we did yesterday with the Fort Lauderdale aquatics of Boca Raton. Leg Circuit 3 x 24 squats 24 lunges 24 split jumps 12 jump squats (we do this twice through non - stop in under 2:30) That is a total of 6 sets - killer leg workout! We finished with some core work and some rope climbing. What are you guys doing out there or what questions do you have? Grif Fig Founder of IHPSWIM
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Does rope-climbing carry over to swimming?
  • Former Member
    Here's a great book for bodyweight exercises including sample training programs. The author Ross Enamait is a former boxer and now a coach: www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html
  • I think I got the terminology wrong. I mean a three point plank on the ball, i.e. only one hand on the ground. I was trying to imagine maintaining balance on a physioball with just one hand and your body flat in the air.
  • I was trying to imagine maintaining balance on a physioball with just one hand and your body flat in the air. Of all the routines on the physioball I think this is one of the toughest, if not the toughest.
  • I was trying to do it with NO hands on the ground -- but the ball kept rolling, I only got about 2 - 5 seconds up there at most. Is this impossible, or just a good long range goal?
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. "Don't dream it; be it!" --Richard O'Brien, the Rocky Horror Show
  • Of all the routines on the physioball I think this is one of the toughest, if not the toughest. Much harder if you're actually in a full superman streamline position. I wish there were a rope at my gym. I'd like that dryland.
  • Former Member
    I believe rope climbing is one of the most effective dryland exercises. It involves the same muscles that we "pull" with in swimming and involves rotation during each pull when one hand crosses over the other as you climb the rope. One of the most important aspects of this exercise is that the spine must remain secure and stable for someone to use their lats and climb up the rope - basically, the core work in this exercise is tremendous.
  • Former Member
    This is what we have been doing the past month to improve our power endurance in the legs. Pushing a truck or SUV is simple and is very effective in increasing power and the ability to deal with igh levels of lactic acid in the muscle. Check out the video clip below. YouTube - Drlyand Training for Swimmers - Pushing the Navigator
  • I work with weights 3 days a week. I usually do a push/pull type circuit with sit ups and a squat/jumps set in between. 30+ pushups 15+ ez curls situps/leg raises/other ab exercise 20+ dips 15+ lat pulldowns squats/jump sets I tend to do lower weight/higher reps since it seems to be easier on my shoulders. I go through this circuit 4-6 times with little rest. Sometimes I split the set with a 20-30min run on the treadmill. Whole thing with the run takes about an hour.