Dryland Training For Swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I am looking to see what everyone out there is doing for there dryland program or strength program. I work at a facility called IHPSWIM and we take a functional approach to our training. We are taking the intensity to the next level since taper is right around the corner, Here is what we did yesterday with the Fort Lauderdale aquatics of Boca Raton. Leg Circuit 3 x 24 squats 24 lunges 24 split jumps 12 jump squats (we do this twice through non - stop in under 2:30) That is a total of 6 sets - killer leg workout! We finished with some core work and some rope climbing. What are you guys doing out there or what questions do you have? Grif Fig Founder of IHPSWIM
  • Not exactly but see if this makes sense: 1) Get in a standard plank (toes and elbows) 2) Lift one arm up and point it forward (like superman) :D Tada! 3 point plank! Now where it gets fun is if you lift one foot and point it (diagonal from the arm pointing forward) and make a 2 point plank! I get the three point plank - but your arm is then pointing forward - level with your head and horizontal (parallel) to the floor.. OK - great. How do you get it to be overhead? Are we talking just a few degrees from the horizontal?
  • I get the three point plank - but your arm is then pointing forward - level with your head and horizontal (parallel) to the floor.. OK - great. How do you get it to be overhead? Are we talking just a few degrees from the horizontal? I don't think when they say over head they mean literally higher than your head, I think they mean pointing foward... things get weird when you start talking in terms of horizontal vs. vertical.
  • Side planks are fun, too. Lower arm and side of foot. When you get better, you raise your outer leg. You can also do a front plank, when your minute is up rotate over to a side plank, back to front, over to the other side, then finish with front. Very tough ab workout.
  • 2 sets of each tri & quad extensions bicep & hamstring curls butter fly for delts & pecs tri pull downs 300 crunches 20 min elipptcal 15 min bike
  • Try a 1-point plank on the physioball some time! I think I got the terminology wrong. I mean a three point plank on the ball, i.e. only one hand on the ground.
  • four months ago, I began dryland workouts to help my swimming. I had never used weights or dryland to any extent in my Masters training. I read some on-line material but settled for the P90X workouts. I don't use real heavy weights to build bulk, but find these workouts excellent for all around core, flexibility and strength improvement. We will see in Arizona this spring if it makes much difference in the pool. I am extremely happy with the results and sense of overall fitness. This is especially helpful because I can do all this in my home. I am only able to swim three to four times per week. I needed something more.
  • Its very very hard to do! Try a 1-point plank on the physioball some time!
  • Planks are probably my most favorite exercise to do to strengthen the core. I haven't tried the 3 point plank, but regular planks and side planks are a part of my usual exercise routine. I also enjoy walk-outs on the stability ball
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    That is exactly what a 3 pt plank is - when in position you lift the arm up so it is parallel to the floor. The key to doing this correctly is to not turn the hips up. Keep the hips straight without letting them rotate while the arm is off the ground. It is an advanced exercise but is an example of how you can take a simple exercise and really turn up the intensity.
  • I was trying to do it with NO hands on the ground -- but the ball kept rolling, I only got about 2 - 5 seconds up there at most. Is this impossible, or just a good long range goal? If you can dream it, you can do it.