To prevent your goggles from fogging up do you....

Former Member
Former Member
spit/lick the insides of them? I've always wondered this amongst other swimmers. When I first started swimming one of my friends licked and/or spit (a little) in her goggles. I thought it was gross at first but I have long since adopted it since I came to found out it did work! If you don't do this, what are your methods for keeping your goggles clear?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    Well I have the vanquishers + actually. It lasted for about 2 weeks but then I got careless and let them get in the water and did other stupid things. My goggles go through a lot of beatings. My practice Vanq's are clear. My metallics I only use for sunny OW swims so I keep them in their cases, too dark to use indoors anyway.
  • Former Member
    My practice Vanq's are clear. My metallics I only use for sunny OW swims so I keep them in their cases, too dark to use indoors anyway. Ya...about that. I just use them indoors anyways since they are my only pair of goggles at the moment. :D
  • Former Member
    Another trick I've heard is using distilled water. Rinse them good after practice and you could use a water bottle or whatever during practice to clean them out. It keeps a film from building up in them.
  • Former Member
    Another trick I've heard is using distilled water. Rinse them good after practice and you could use a water bottle or whatever during practice to clean them out. It keeps a film from building up in them. Yes, I have heard of this as well. I usually wash my goggles with cold water before and after I swim. Been working pretty good. As far as the spray I wanted to try but it cost money, while spit doesn't...haha.
  • Former Member
    Quinn's Old Irish Goggle anti-fog solution. Sorry, but there is no local distributorship, but it works great.
  • Former Member
    I use my fingers to wipe the inside--it works! :agree:
  • Former Member
    I keep all my goggles inside soapy water. I never wipe or in any other way touch the inside of the goggle lens. When I need my goggles I just rinse them with tap water. This has worked for me. I read somewhere that the fogging is caused by all the minerals in pool water. Soapy water probably softens the minerals and the tap water removes them. Additionally the elastic bands last longer inside soapy water. Try it.
  • Former Member
    I use 500 psi, a SCUBA mask anti-fog gel, that works very well for swim goggles and masks.
  • Former Member
    Thanks to the baby shampoo tip I learned on this forum I now have a lifetime supply of goggles. Licking them seems to work in a pinch as well.
  • This baby shampoo idea is new to me. WHat do you do with it exactly? Put in a drop and spread it around with your finger before you swim? PUt it in AFTER you swim, let it spread naturally, and you're good to go for your next swim? How much is very little? I'm intrigued. I just let my goggles fog up and then I wipe the fog out w/my finger in between swims. Not a good idea? I tried the anti fog stuff but it just made everything smeary. Maybe I just need to be more exacting....