Not a Fan of Short Course Meters Season

I'm not a big fan of short course meters meets. Maybe its my American bias, but I prefer the USA Swimming season format with two fairly distinct seasons - SCY (Fall thru Spring) and LCM (Spring/Summer). With limited meets to participate in (especially in the Northeast), I would prefer that the options were not even more diluted by short course meters meets. I would think that many Masters swimmers in the US (who mostly grew up in 25 yard pools) would agree. Just wondering what everybody else thinks.
  • Love SCM and glad that we have such a great network of regional meets running that format.
  • Where are all those SCM pools going to come from, though? I think the reason most meets are SCY is by far most pools are SCY. True and that is a limiting factor but there are frequently SCY meets held at facilities that can accomodate SCM too. I'm not saying that we can eliminate SCY, that can not happen until there are enough SCM facilities to fill in but there can be a _much_ lower emphasis on SCY in the US that is there currently.
  • I don't notice any significant difference betwen scy and scm. I do notice that some folks who prefer shorter distances tend to fade away in scm 200's since it's (almost) equivalent to swimming a 225 scy.
  • Not to change the subject but, do any of you know the results for the 2008 TYR Masters Grand Prix? Actually, you did change the subject (aka, threadcrapping) but you could try a search to find their website:http://www.TYRgrandprix.com/ and look for results there . . .:dunno:
  • Love SCM and glad that we have such a great network of regional meets running that format. Agree 100%. I like having three seasons, in effect. Plus, given my attention span these days, I don't think I could focus and train from September through May without a significant peak event; the fact that the December peak event is in SCM keeps the variety that much higher.
  • It would even be a better day if all the SCY & SCM pools were dug up and replaced with a LMC pool that can easily be configured to SCY or SCM. I agree with this sentiment! I don't mind the SCM season, though I consider it a bit of a "third leg" season. I don't taper for it or anything, but I do enjoy racing at that distance (as it's something "different"). I am used to thinking in SCY and definitely think of that as my "prime" season. LCM is its own thing and I enjoy that too (plus, it's what the Olympians compete in). Having more LCM pools would be awesome. Having said that, we probably should actively move towards SCM as the standard for non-LCM competitions.... By "we" I mean USAS and NCAA--Masters should not lead that charge. After all, we mostly grew up in SCY pools and there's no reason to force us old dogs to learn the new tricks first.
  • Here is why I hate SCM. I don't train it EVER. All the pools in my area are set up SCY or LCM. Also, there are very few SCM meets in my area. There are NONE in GA this year. I have to travel 3.5 to 4 hours to Columbia, SC and 10 hrs (if driving) to Coral Springs to get 2 days meets. Poor accessibility - for training and meets. Here's why I like it. It's easier to place high in Top 10. I think others suffer from the training and meet options as well. My sentiments exactly. Also, my turns stink, so my SCM times are about the same as my LCM times. I would have to drive at least 2 hours to do a SCM meet. Let's celebrate being American and keep the SCY meets.
  • I love SCM. Where else does a paltry non-age group swimmer such as myself stand a shot of a 10th place Top Ten time? :D Same here!
  • Interesting responses...not what I would have thought. I guess I wasn't looking for idealism, but rather practicality. It would seem that without the backing of USA Swimming, NCAA Swimming, and a turnaround in the facility availability - the US will be linked to yards for some time. It would be interesting to find out what percentage of all pools in the US could host LCM, SCM, and SCY meets. In addition, I would like to see those statistics by LMSC or LSC and by pool age. Does anyone foresee USA Swimming or NCAA swimming ever moving away from SCY?
  • Thanks Brian, I went to http://www.tyrgrandprix.org/ and didn't find what I was looking for. I guess I'll keep googling stuff till it shows up somewhere. Try the link in my post, that will get you there, just click on the link.