Not a Fan of Short Course Meters Season

I'm not a big fan of short course meters meets. Maybe its my American bias, but I prefer the USA Swimming season format with two fairly distinct seasons - SCY (Fall thru Spring) and LCM (Spring/Summer). With limited meets to participate in (especially in the Northeast), I would prefer that the options were not even more diluted by short course meters meets. I would think that many Masters swimmers in the US (who mostly grew up in 25 yard pools) would agree. Just wondering what everybody else thinks.
  • we don't have SCY over here, so getting rid of SCM would mean only LCM.....no thanks ;)
  • True and that is a limiting factor but there are frequently SCY meets held at facilities that can accomodate SCM too. That's why I've suggested the Sprint Classic be held in SCM instead of SCY. But there is a perception that SCY is more popular. The meet director may be surveying people tomorrow on this issue.
  • My favorite is LCM,but at least here it is easier to find SCM meets.I prefer SCM to SCY because there is a little more opportunity to swim instead of just turn.With SCM you can compare yourself to the rest of the world,where as only the US swims SCY.I also like our having 3 separate seasons.
  • It would be terribly provincial of us to get rid of SCM. I would prefer to get rid of SCY...if most of our pools (and Kirk pointed out) weren't 25yd. I wish there were more SCM meets. I also like resting for a meet in December, otherwise there is too long a time between rested meets in August and May. (Part of that is because our SCY nationals are SO LATE in the season...I wouldn't care about resting in December if nats were in March.) Interestingly, our local summer league swimming is mostly SCM. Kind of odd. I also like swimming/racing SCM a little better than SCY. Turns are still important but you have a little more time between them to get into a rhythm.
  • It will be a great day when all SCY pools are dug up and replaced with SCM.
  • I love SCM. Where else does a paltry non-age group swimmer such as myself stand a shot of a 10th place Top Ten time? :D
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    Here is why I hate SCM. I don't train it EVER. All the pools in my area are set up SCY or LCM. Also, there are very few SCM meets in my area. There are NONE in GA this year. I have to travel 3.5 to 4 hours to Columbia, SC and 10 hrs (if driving) to Coral Springs to get 2 days meets. Poor accessibility - for training and meets. Here's why I like it. It's easier to place high in Top 10. I think others suffer from the training and meet options as well.
  • As much as I like SCY, I think we need to get with the rest of the world and go SCM and LCM.
  • I'm not a big fan of short course meters meets. Maybe its my American bias, but I prefer the USA Swimming season format with two fairly distinct seasons - SCY (Fall thru Spring) and LCM (Spring/Summer). With limited meets to participate in (especially in the Northeast), I would prefer that the options were not even more diluted by short course meters meets. I would think that many Masters swimmers in the US (who mostly grew up in 25 yard pools) would agree. Just wondering what everybody else thinks. I prefer SCM. And it's our only chance to compete virtually against the rest of the world. In fact, I feel like the vast majority of masters meets are in SCY. I'd like more SCM and more LCM meets and a longer LCM season. Our LCM season is really summer only here unless you swim in USA meets.
  • As much as I like SCY, I think we need to get with the rest of the world and go SCM and LCM. Where are all those SCM pools going to come from, though? I think the reason most meets are SCY is by far most pools are SCY.