Not a Fan of Short Course Meters Season

I'm not a big fan of short course meters meets. Maybe its my American bias, but I prefer the USA Swimming season format with two fairly distinct seasons - SCY (Fall thru Spring) and LCM (Spring/Summer). With limited meets to participate in (especially in the Northeast), I would prefer that the options were not even more diluted by short course meters meets. I would think that many Masters swimmers in the US (who mostly grew up in 25 yard pools) would agree. Just wondering what everybody else thinks.
Parents
  • It would even be a better day if all the SCY & SCM pools were dug up and replaced with a LMC pool that can easily be configured to SCY or SCM. I agree with this sentiment! I don't mind the SCM season, though I consider it a bit of a "third leg" season. I don't taper for it or anything, but I do enjoy racing at that distance (as it's something "different"). I am used to thinking in SCY and definitely think of that as my "prime" season. LCM is its own thing and I enjoy that too (plus, it's what the Olympians compete in). Having more LCM pools would be awesome. Having said that, we probably should actively move towards SCM as the standard for non-LCM competitions.... By "we" I mean USAS and NCAA--Masters should not lead that charge. After all, we mostly grew up in SCY pools and there's no reason to force us old dogs to learn the new tricks first.
  • It would even be a better day if all the SCY & SCM pools were dug up and replaced with a LMC pool that can easily be configured to SCY or SCM. I agree with this sentiment! I don't mind the SCM season, though I consider it a bit of a "third leg" season. I don't taper for it or anything, but I do enjoy racing at that distance (as it's something "different"). I am used to thinking in SCY and definitely think of that as my "prime" season. LCM is its own thing and I enjoy that too (plus, it's what the Olympians compete in). Having more LCM pools would be awesome. Having said that, we probably should actively move towards SCM as the standard for non-LCM competitions.... By "we" I mean USAS and NCAA--Masters should not lead that charge. After all, we mostly grew up in SCY pools and there's no reason to force us old dogs to learn the new tricks first.
Children
No Data