Women's Locker Room

Here's a thread for the ladies to discuss anything that relates to women and swimming. For example, feel free to discuss how disgustingly ugly fastskins are, how the "curse" can kill a meet, how suits don't fit, how swimming wrecks your hair, how hormones unhinge you, etc.
  • Fort, that is gross!!! Dead skin?! Ewww. The one that gets me is the 70+ year old woman who gets dresed in the sauna. First of all, how can you get dressed while so hot and secondly, that's nasty that she goes in there naked. Yuck.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    I think all the guy's should stay out of the ladies locker room. There are things said in those women's locker rooms which should not be discussed by men. I have heard some are even catty when chating.
  • Former Member
    My fav locker room moment was a couple of weeks ago when 3 German exchange students were getting dressed and dissing every woman in the place in German. I so enjoyed wishing them (in German of course) better luck as they got older. :D
  • Former Member
    One morning we had an elderly woman wander into the locker room by mistake. They sometimes keep the doors open to let the excess humidity out. She somehow made it past the third aisle totally oblivious to her surroundings. One gentleman gave her a good morning at about the same time she took in a huge gasp of air. The look on her face was a combination of extreme embarrassment with hint of cardiac arrest on the way. She did an about face that would have made a drill Sargent quite proud. The shriek she let out in the main lobby was heard throughout the building. Must have been a new member.
  • Former Member
    One morning we had an elderly woman wander into the locker room by mistake. They sometimes keep the doors open to let the excess humidity out. She somehow made it past the third aisle totally oblivious to her surroundings. One gentleman gave her a good morning at about the same time she took in a huge gasp of air. The look on her face was a combination of extreme embarrassment with hint of cardiac arrest on the way. She did an about face that would have made a drill Sargent quite proud. The shriek she let out in the main lobby was heard throughout the building. Must have been a new member. I've been surprised twice in our locker room at the local YMCA. Neither time was the 'intruder' elderly. I'm still trying to figure out how to get an invitation to the women's locker room but Grace just won't oblige. My mom took me in when I was a little tad and it made a big impression. I'm interested, purely for scientific purposes, to see if my opinion has changed. Maybe someone else would kindly help in this scholarly venture?
  • This isn't just a women's thing but...what about the couple (man in his 60s woman in her 30s) that decides it's a good idea to make out in the open swim area of the pool...WHILE 9-12 year olds are practicing and when there are water aerobics classes going on. Is there no shame? The worst part is the woman was rather BUSTY and about 5 inches of cleavage were hanging out (or should I say floating)...and she took joy in bouncing up and down and having her "honey" look (practically drooling) at her water balloons...Grrrrrrosssssssss...Get a room already! :hug: You're much nicer than me. This happened in the large hot tub adjacent to my gym pool recently. I asked the lovely couple to tone it down please. Morgan, your comments are interesting. I often think they make fastskins for people with skinny legs and big chests, as if we were Barbie dolls instead of swimmers. My fastskins are always super tight on the legs -- thus the locker room gyrations and groans -- and too loose up top. But them I am not of the BUSTY gold bikini club either. You're definitely right about them being easier to get into over time. They say the Pro is supposed to hold its shape, but I can get mine on pretty quickly now after 6-7 meets of use.
  • I am going to have to purchase a new one soon. I bought my Tyr AquaShift this past summer at Nationals when I was 20 pounds heavier and had bigger thighs. It took quite a while to get into it the first few times. Now it is just like putting on a regular suit, no effort at all. I normally wear a 38 Speedo Endurance or 40 Tyr polyester for workouts now. I do have a longer torso. My AquaShift is a size 36 and I am wondering if I go down to a 34 or a 32? I don't think my thighs are small enough to try the largest of the speedo's yet, since they are advertised to fit 21 inch thighs and mine are still 22.5 inches. Any thoughts?
  • I am a fan of suit spinners but you want to be real careful with racing suits, I didn't stuff my old FS I deep enough, part of the leg drifted up over the edge and got shredded ande I have been told the same thing, by a friend who owns a swim store in Indianapolis. She said that the centrifugal force stretches the fibers in the suit. My gut feel is that if this is true, the spinners are probably harder on Lycra fibers than on polyester. Lycra is just so fragile once it's been exposed to chlorine. Oh, here's the web site for the suit spinners: http://www.suitmate.com/ Anna Lea
  • Former Member
    This is only the tip of the iceberg! We chat about how huge our butts are, how childbirth widens your hips and wrecks your stomach, how bad chlorine is for your skin, hair and nails, whether we are due for highlights to hide the gray hair, which suits are the cutest, how to get rid of fat thighs, what the best brands of jeans are, the value of retail therapy, how hormones suck, which BCP is best, and how inept and lazy our spouses can be. We also do, on the odd occasion, talk about training, b*tch about nagging injuries, and discuss whether x guy is hot or not. Oh, boyfriends, breakups, divorces, marriages, re-marriages, etc. are all good discussion topics. Anything else ladies? :snore::snore::snore: huh?? Where am I? :bolt:
  • They should be a substantially smaller size than your practice suit. For example, I wear a 32 in endurance suits or a 30 in a splish. But my Pro is a 26 and my FS II is a 27. Now, you're probably taller than me, but still ... Most people buy them too big. The people at the swim stores recommend you get them as small as humanly impossible. It should take some time to get into them. If you're slipping it on in a couple minutes, it's way too big. Budget at least 10-15 minutes. Since Pros rip easily, maybe more. If once the suit is on, you can pull the straps up more than an inch or so, it's probably too big. Watching a woman get into her suit is just too hysterical. At my last meet, one woman went into the handicapped stall to sit on the floor because she did not want to subject anyone to the torture of watching her get into it. lol The thighs and hips are torture! There were three of us on the locker room last weekend getting into our suits, it was hilarious! Mine takes about 10 minutes. I wear a 32 (sometimes a 34 in endurance) in practice suits and my FS2 that I wore last weekend is a 29. I ordered another FS2 on ebay last week and it's a 28 and doesn't feel that much different and wasn't that much harder to get on. Not sure about how it will feel in the pool, will try it out next weekend at zones. I did notice that at the beginning of my 500 that my quads felt really constricted and pretty tired while I was swimming. Not sure if it had anything to do with the suit or just that I wasn't rested/tapered at all and was trying to sprint the 500. Would someone PLEASE make sure that I don't try to sprint the 500 at nationals! It was SO painful for the last 150 yards! Julie