Swimming with a cold

Former Member
Former Member
I swam today with a cold. I have no fever, and no infection, just congestion. I was pleased at how my swim was sort of a 'vacation' from my cold. The symptoms vanished during the swim. Afterwards (1000 yards), I felt rejuvinated, and my sinuses felt less congested. Anyone else have this experience? I'd never go in with a fever, etc., being a big contagious germ carrier, but then chlorine would take care of that I think....but why take chances? Marian
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    Just wondering where all that congestion goes when it leaves your head........Remind me not to share a lane with you under these particular circumstances! I'm thinking it's best for all concerned if you stay out of the pool until the cold goes away. Maybe I'm just a germaphobe. Somehow, this should be worked into the circle-versus-split-the-lane thread. Maybe when someone asks if they can share my lane, I should just honk out a big snot, leave it on my upper lip, say "Sure, no problem!" and just push off. I'll bet they won't be in the lane when I get back after 50 yards!
  • Former Member
    My high school and college coach would have laughed at me if I suggested I miss a workout due to a cold. You would have to be on death's door, with a confirming Dr's note to get the OK to skip a workout due to illness. Honestly, everyone swam through everything in college, and I don't remember anyone getting more complicated illnesses by swimming through colds, etc. Now that I am old and lazy, I regularly sleep in and miss workouts when I have a cold...
  • Former Member
    I just LMAO
  • Former Member
    OMG, LOL, It's still really gross.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    I have a more specific question to ask: is it ok to swim with an earache, and, if I am prone to getting water in my ears, should I swim with earplugs? I never used to...
  • Former Member
    Having a cold means going to the beach, swimming in the salt water, clearing out the sinuses, breathing fresh sea air, and taking in the healing power of the sun's rays while it drys off the body leaving lots of salt residue. I can't imagine doing this in a pool. I'm guilty of training while sick, however, I don't do this anymore, since training with a low resistance may allow viruses and bacteria to penetrate and damage the heart. The first question my ear doctor asks: is where do you swim? Because fungus love to grow inside my ear causing inner ear infections, pain and wrecking my balance. So yes, wear ear plugs to keep moisture out of your ear.:cool:
  • If your ears are troubling you try the silicone ear plugs and put a small amount of alcohol(or something with a drying effect) in your ear canal to dry the water up after your swim. I've also found a warm neti pot after swimming helps my ears and sinuses feel better after swimming with a cold.
  • I have a more specific question to ask: is it ok to swim with an earache, and, if I am prone to getting water in my ears, should I swim with earplugs? I never used to... Have you had the ears checked to make sure you don't have an ear infection? Do you wear a cap to help keep the water out? I pull mine down as far as it will go to keep the water out as much as it will. I also use AuroDry to get any water out that gets in. I found the home made remedy didn't work as well on me.
  • Clean your goggles when you're done and touch them as little as possible during practice. The last thing you want is Pink Eye! :afraid:
  • Former Member
    I swam today with a cold. I have no fever, and no infection, just congestion. I was pleased at how my swim was sort of a 'vacation' from my cold. The symptoms vanished during the swim. Afterwards (1000 yards), I felt rejuvinated, and my sinuses felt less congested. Anyone else have this experience? I'd never go in with a fever, etc., being a big contagious germ carrier, but then chlorine would take care of that I think....but why take chances? Marian Well, I guess it all depends on your condition... but I had a bad experience. I was sick for 2 wks with chest congestions, fever, and fatigue. I felt okay at wk3 and was able to run and swim slowly. I went to ocean swim(1 mile) and felt so bad right after the start. I could not get air in... So, I will not get in water until I feel 100% better. I would do running/walking, stretch, and weights instead...