Swimming with a cold

Former Member
Former Member
I swam today with a cold. I have no fever, and no infection, just congestion. I was pleased at how my swim was sort of a 'vacation' from my cold. The symptoms vanished during the swim. Afterwards (1000 yards), I felt rejuvinated, and my sinuses felt less congested. Anyone else have this experience? I'd never go in with a fever, etc., being a big contagious germ carrier, but then chlorine would take care of that I think....but why take chances? Marian
  • .. Next Saturday I have an open water mile swim to do ... I'm going to do that one too. Track me down and introduce yourself.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 13 years ago
    I have a cold and I am ticked. I came down with it three days ago. I could feel it during that day's practice, but I was able to make my sets. I decided to take Friday and Saturday off because I feel lethargic, and here it is Sunday. Next Saturday I have an open water mile swim to do and I am getting frustrated thinking this cold will set me back mentally and physically. Each deep breath results in a cough. I can't swim like that right? Seems like if you lose 3-4 days in the pool, you might as well miss a month.
  • I have a cold and I am ticked. I came down with it three days ago. I could feel it during that day's practice, but I was able to make my sets. I decided to take Friday and Saturday off because I feel lethargic, and here it is Sunday. Next Saturday I have an open water mile swim to do and I am getting frustrated thinking this cold will set me back mentally and physically. Each deep breath results in a cough. I can't swim like that right? Seems like if you lose 3-4 days in the pool, you might as well miss a month. The same thing happened to me recently. My only "good news" is that after I'd decided I wasn't up for my open water swim, it got canceled anyway. If you are still coughing when you take deep breaths, I would not do the mile swim. At best it will be extremely unpleasant. I sympathize. :(
  • I vote for the insurance companies to pay for a week at a sunny ocean beach as a remedy for colds and their nasty consequences. I think the health benefits will definitely offset the cost.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I know that I tell my swimmers not to get in with a cold unless they are on antibiotics that don't have any significant side effects. All the best! Antibiotics don't help colds. Colds are viral, and antibiotics will do absolutely nothing except build resistance to them.