Swimming with a cold

Former Member
Former Member
I swam today with a cold. I have no fever, and no infection, just congestion. I was pleased at how my swim was sort of a 'vacation' from my cold. The symptoms vanished during the swim. Afterwards (1000 yards), I felt rejuvinated, and my sinuses felt less congested. Anyone else have this experience? I'd never go in with a fever, etc., being a big contagious germ carrier, but then chlorine would take care of that I think....but why take chances? Marian
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    I think I might try it (swimming with a cold). I'll let you know how it works out.
  • Former Member
    Next time I feel one coming on, I'm heading to a warm beach. Maybe even Hawaii. Will work for my nose AND noggin, and guaranteed I will have better effects on people when I get back, though they might get sick of hearing about it. DV
  • Former Member
    I have heard that swimming while having a cold can cause a condition called myocarditis. Before I heard of this, I swam once last march while having a cold. The cold seemed to have receded temporarily and I felt great thinking swimming cured my cold, and I thought this would be what I'd do in future if I had a cold again. But in the following days the cold progressed into the worst cold I had ever had, I almost suffocated due to the congestion. Used one big box of Kleenex per day. Would never want that happen again.
  • Former Member
    I think myocarditis is inflammation of the heart muscle - could it be caused by swimming with a cold? Seems like a rather dire consequence.
  • Former Member
    I think myocarditis is inflammation of the heart muscle - could it be caused by swimming with a cold? Seems like a rather dire consequence. I agree that myocarditis is the inflamation of the myocardium (the muscular part of the heart). It is a condition that is driven by an infection (viral or bacterial). If you have the common cold (generally viral) it could very well turn into myocarditis. As much as I wouldn't like to think so, there is evidence that shows 20% of deaths in young adults is due to myocarditis. Now, obviously not all of those are swimmers who are out there practicing with colds, but it is still a relevant concern. I know that I tell my swimmers not to get in with a cold unless they are on antibiotics that don't have any significant side effects. All the best!
  • Just wondering where all that congestion goes when it leaves your head........Remind me not to share a lane with you under these particular circumstances! I'm thinking it's best for all concerned if you stay out of the pool until the cold goes away. Maybe I'm just a germaphobe.
  • Former Member
    wow- good to know- THANKS
  • I've had a cold for over two weeks and have been out of the water for most of that time. I finally got to the nurse practitioner today. He said I can swim if I want to, so long as I continue not to have a fever. He did not make the above/below neck distinction and since my cold is in my chest, clearly thought about it. He did not think that continued exercise while sick with a cold would cause any issues with my heart (again, provided I didn't have a fever). I might get in and swim in the next day or so...
  • Former Member
    I was once told by my asthma doctor to never swim with a cold period, no questions. Most people swallow phlegm all the time, we just don't know it. Isn't that lovely. The reason we notice it with a cold is that there is so much more phlegm. I think most doctors have rethought the idea that if it is above the neck it is okay to workout. Most say never workout if sick. Towards another thread about the runner who died in New York. If he had a cold it is possible that he blocked some oxygen and the heart couldn't get enough oxygen to itself or to major muscles.
  • Towards another thread about the runner who died in New York. If he had a cold it is possible that he blocked some oxygen and the heart couldn't get enough oxygen to itself or to major muscles. Interesting thought. I run and notice I start to get stomach cramps 1 or 2 times during a long run. I also have asthma, and carry my inhaler with me. As soon as I feel a cramp coming on, I take the inhaler. It may not entirely prevent them, but the cramps don't last very long. At most, I may have to walk for a minute.