Swimming with a cold

Former Member
Former Member
I swam today with a cold. I have no fever, and no infection, just congestion. I was pleased at how my swim was sort of a 'vacation' from my cold. The symptoms vanished during the swim. Afterwards (1000 yards), I felt rejuvinated, and my sinuses felt less congested. Anyone else have this experience? I'd never go in with a fever, etc., being a big contagious germ carrier, but then chlorine would take care of that I think....but why take chances? Marian
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Having a cold means going to the beach, swimming in the salt water, clearing out the sinuses, breathing fresh sea air, and taking in the healing power of the sun's rays while it drys off the body leaving lots of salt residue. I can't imagine doing this in a pool. I'm guilty of training while sick, however, I don't do this anymore, since training with a low resistance may allow viruses and bacteria to penetrate and damage the heart. The first question my ear doctor asks: is where do you swim? Because fungus love to grow inside my ear causing inner ear infections, pain and wrecking my balance. So yes, wear ear plugs to keep moisture out of your ear.:cool:
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 14 years ago
    Having a cold means going to the beach, swimming in the salt water, clearing out the sinuses, breathing fresh sea air, and taking in the healing power of the sun's rays while it drys off the body leaving lots of salt residue. I can't imagine doing this in a pool. I'm guilty of training while sick, however, I don't do this anymore, since training with a low resistance may allow viruses and bacteria to penetrate and damage the heart. The first question my ear doctor asks: is where do you swim? Because fungus love to grow inside my ear causing inner ear infections, pain and wrecking my balance. So yes, wear ear plugs to keep moisture out of your ear.:cool:
Children
No Data