Swimming with a cold

Former Member
Former Member
I swam today with a cold. I have no fever, and no infection, just congestion. I was pleased at how my swim was sort of a 'vacation' from my cold. The symptoms vanished during the swim. Afterwards (1000 yards), I felt rejuvinated, and my sinuses felt less congested. Anyone else have this experience? I'd never go in with a fever, etc., being a big contagious germ carrier, but then chlorine would take care of that I think....but why take chances? Marian
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    I was once told by my asthma doctor to never swim with a cold period, no questions. Most people swallow phlegm all the time, we just don't know it. Isn't that lovely. The reason we notice it with a cold is that there is so much more phlegm. I think most doctors have rethought the idea that if it is above the neck it is okay to workout. Most say never workout if sick. Towards another thread about the runner who died in New York. If he had a cold it is possible that he blocked some oxygen and the heart couldn't get enough oxygen to itself or to major muscles.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    I was once told by my asthma doctor to never swim with a cold period, no questions. Most people swallow phlegm all the time, we just don't know it. Isn't that lovely. The reason we notice it with a cold is that there is so much more phlegm. I think most doctors have rethought the idea that if it is above the neck it is okay to workout. Most say never workout if sick. Towards another thread about the runner who died in New York. If he had a cold it is possible that he blocked some oxygen and the heart couldn't get enough oxygen to itself or to major muscles.
Children
No Data