Goggles

Former Member
Former Member
I read the post a few threads down about foggy googles. I'm having the same problem. Only I've been swimming for about 3 months and I've used the same pair since I started. The problem is not only constant fogginess, but they just dont seem to fit right anymore. Even when I stop after intervals, and I flush water through them, the second I put them back on they are foggy, I can barely see the lane lines, or the other swimmers in my lane. Is it time to get a new pair?
  • i use dishwashing soap, it lasts a few days
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I leave a few drops inside when putting them on, and they will roll over any fog that may form and you have a clear view.
  • Same thing on the baby shampoo. I use just a touch of it on my finger, wipe the inside with it, then rinse in the pool right before I get in. It's worked for years. A travel sized bottle will last you several months.
  • With regard to fogging, I use a slight smear of baby shampoo, which I then rinse off in the water. I find this will last for a long workout, even if I take my goggles off at times, and also works for long (5K) open water swims. I used to use a commercial anti-fog, but found (a) it doesn't work as well and (b) when I didn't get it suitably rinsed off it hurt my eyes. A small drop of Johnson's baby shampoo on each lens and then let them sit in some moderately warm water for a few minutes and then rinse them off - after each swim, or about 1 to 2 times per week works great. I've had my goggles for years, and the anti-fog is long since gone. Get them wet before you put them on and dive in and maybe open them up to the water once or twice during warm-up and you shouldn't have any problems. If you forget and they fog, use saliva. Fog forms when the surface isn't completely clean, so the shampoo works great to keep them clean.
  • Wow...this was an old thread that was resurrected. But...I find that absolutely nothing in the goggles, and keeping the inside of the lenses perfectly clean is the trick to prevent them from fogging. The reason they fog is because of gunk build-up from stuff in the pool water...body lotions, hair products, deodorant gels, your own body excretions, etc...builds up over time and the moisture/fog sticks to that gunk. I clean the inside of my goggles weekly with mild soap and rinse it thoroughly. Also, let the goggles adjust to the water temp. I never have a fogging problem. Dan
  • Wow...this was an old thread that was resurrected. I just noticed that. Someone responded to a 14 year old thread. That may be a new record. :)
  • I just noticed that. Someone responded to a 14 year old thread. That may be a new record. :) It makes me wonder... where have all the swimmers gone? There are some posts by people I have never heard of, and others from swimmers I haven't seen on here in years. That reminds me... Have you seen That Guy at any of your regional meets? I miss Doug's humor; he was a hoot! :lmao:
  • Newbie, here. It sure does seem quiet, I spend quite a bit of time searching and reading older threads. I don't think it is a local (i.e., swimming, or USMS) phenomenon. A lot of the online forums and lists seem to have gone pretty dark. My personal hunch? Americans, particularly, now have to spend so much time commuting, caring for elders or children, and working, that there is little time available for hopping on a forum and sharing news or ideas. We are probably THE most time-crunched nation.
  • Good point(s), f1re. To add to what you said, a lot of people are LIVING on Facebook, too, so they are on that site rather than here on the Forums. As for me, this is my social media site of choice, because I learn so much from other swimmers here. I have also made some real friends here. My swim team communicates via FB, so I am on it primarily for that reason-- under my nickname rather than real name. I spend little time on FB, and I have (by choice) a whopping six "friends" (two of them are my sisters).
  • Every pair of goggles I have ever owned started fogging up on me after a few weeks - the factory coating just doesn't last even when you are careful. Therefore I don't replace goggles if the only thing wrong is fogging. I usually use 50:50 baby shampoo:water in a small spray bottle, but have also used several commercial products. The commercial ones last a little longer, but cost a little more. It's time to replace goggles when the rubber parts deteriorate or they start leaking. I often find the gaskets get less flexible and then they leak.