Goggles

Former Member
Former Member
I read the post a few threads down about foggy googles. I'm having the same problem. Only I've been swimming for about 3 months and I've used the same pair since I started. The problem is not only constant fogginess, but they just dont seem to fit right anymore. Even when I stop after intervals, and I flush water through them, the second I put them back on they are foggy, I can barely see the lane lines, or the other swimmers in my lane. Is it time to get a new pair?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    You can get an antifog spray from speedo, I don't know how it works as I have never used it. I could also be that your goggles just arn't right for you or could be worn out, I find after a few months mine get real bad so I will just keep them as spares and buy a new pair, I always have two pairs with me. My goggles get bad from abuse as I just throw them into the bag after a workout. I always keep one good pair that I use only for meets.
  • Former Member
    I use 'prescription' goggles and am fairly careful with them as they are more expensive than most readily available goggles. I don't bother with a goggles case, but I do tuck them inside my cap before they go back into my bag or locker. The cap works well keeping them scratch free. I find the anti fog drops work as well as licking the lenses and then rinsing them with water. Washing my cap,goggles (and zoomers) with anti-clorine shampoo after a workout seems to help keep them in good condition. I've been using the same pare of goggles well over a year now.
  • Former Member
    Whitney, I have found that good ole saliva works as well as the anti-fog spray from Speedo and it is free. Just lick the inside of the goggles and you are good to go. Repeat as needed! GEF
  • Former Member
    Thanks everyone for your advice on the goggles. But it sounds like to me the anti fog spray is just a waste of money.. if you have to use it moe than once a day, then it's not too effective then is it ? lol I think I'll just buy a new pair.
  • Former Member
    Some folk (yes, like me) allow a small amount of water into the goggles as they swim. As the water moves around it does tend to keep them clear. However, I know some people who would never, ever consider doing this. Each to their own ...
  • Former Member
    I use the Speedo anti-fog solution with reasonable success. The anti-fog coating on my "anti-fog" goggles went away pretty quickly, and I needed a supplement. I have found the best way to use the Speedo solution is to coat the inside of the lenses with it before getting into the pool. I coat the lenses in the locker room to let them sit for a few minutes, then rinse them quickly just before getting into the pool to knock off the excess solution. You don't want to rinse them too much, because doing so will wash the coating right back off. Coat them, then just hit them with a quick splash in the sink or dip them in the pool quickly before putting them on. If you don't rinse the excess off, the solution will get in your eyes. It's not that bad, but it can make your eyeballs feel a little gummy. Occasionally, if I get a leak or otherwise wash off too much of the coating during my workout, I'll have to give them another hit with the spray to keep them from starting to fog again. For some reason my spit won't work as an anti-fog solution.
  • Former Member
    One other thing. I had a habit of taking my goggles off between sets and rubbing my fingers in them. I had to learn to resist that urge. If you take them off or fumble with them so that water gets in there or your rub against the lenses, the anti-fog coating will wash off sooner. If you use the Speedo solution, once you get the goggles to stop fogging and get a good seal on your face, don't touch them. The less they go off and on your face the longer the coating will last. If there's fogging in the corner and you reach in there with your finger and wipe it away, you'll also wipe off the solution that's working on the rest of the lens, and soon the whole thing will be fogged. Sometimes I want to stomp my goggles. Gotta resist that urge too.
  • Former Member
    I have found the defogging solution made by Water Gear works well. Start with dry lenses, schmear it around and rinse lightly. A daub of baby shampoo done the same way works well too. I have goggles alternately on my eyes, than on my head for several hours when I am teaching. I occasionally have to rinse them in the water but all in all they do not fog up. I think that the word "Anti-fog" is just a catchy phrase that fits better on the packaging than "Doesn't fog up as much"
  • I have used the Speedo fluid, and it works. It does sound, to me, as though the OP either needs to find a way so those goggles FIT better, or just replace them with a new pair. Do they seal to your face? The goggles should stick on your face for a bit, if you press them on your eyes, even without the use of the strap. If they don't stick like that, very probably they don't have a good seal, and that's important to start with. I doubt any "anti fog" would help if your goggles are not getting a good seal.
  • With regard to fogging, I use a slight smear of baby shampoo, which I then rinse off in the water. I find this will last for a long workout, even if I take my goggles off at times, and also works for long (5K) open water swims. I used to use a commercial anti-fog, but found (a) it doesn't work as well and (b) when I didn't get it suitably rinsed off it hurt my eyes.