Anyone concerned about risks to our family?

Former Member
Former Member
No matter what the CDC says about chlorine killing the virus, my family is very concerned about my return to the pool, due to those who spit, pee, sweat in the pool, and particularly the heavy breathing above the water by other swimmers. Not to mention that they don't 100% believe that chlorine kills the virus, since we are inundated with contradictory recommendations and cautions. Is anyone staying away from pools until it really is "safe" -- the cases don't rise significantly? I worry about being the carrier to my family, esp. my grandson, who I watch and adore. I admit, I'm concerned about safety above the water, no matter what precautions the pools say they are taking. I swam indoors and watched guards look the other way when people don't shower off before getting in, or spit in the pool, and I've seen worse that I won't share here.
  • From what I understand about banning pool toys, some of them, such as large noodles and floats can come in contact with other swimmers ABOVE water, and the contamination can be transferred. I remember last summer when I was floating around in the recreation part of the pool after a swim , I was inadvertently hit in the face with pool noodles and floats a few times. It was no big deal, but it could be now. The is what happens with those toys above the surface of the water.
  • Hi, scyfreestyler, my post wasn't meant to elicit a thread about who is at risk. I'm wondering how many fellow masters swimmers are not as concerned about placing family members at risk by going back into the pools. CDC says the chlorine kills the virus, yet no pool toys or pool equipment (in some pools) cannot be brought in. If the chlorine kills the virus, shouldn't it kill possible virus particles on pool toys and kickboards, etc.? It's just too contradictory. And as many have pointed out here, it's about the swimmers breathing hard next to us, the air itself, etc. I am 63 and this is my 5th week back swimming in Austin. The pools I swim in are outside and 1 program is 2 per lane same end of the pool and 1 is now 4 per lane 2 at each end of the lane. No facility or Locker room access as you come dressed and social distance entering and exiting the pool via separate exits. I have felt safe and I am swimming in lanes with people I know and trust. While nothing is a sure thing so far so good for me My family and Grandkids are ok with me swimming and again so far everyone is healthy in my family and among my swim friends. As many folks have said here it is really an individual decision and what you personally feel comfortable with. Swimming will wait for you and you will get back in shape in due time when you are ready!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    www.nytimes.com/.../coronavirus-lung-transplant.html Call it an anomaly if you prefer, though I doubt that would be of much solace to this 20 year old patient. To me, it also points to the fact that the number of deaths in a given age group only tell part of the story. There are others who survive, yet may have lifelong health issues because of their COVID infection.
  • Former Member
    www.nytimes.com/.../coronavirus-lung-transplant.html Call it an anomaly if you prefer, though I doubt that would be of much solace to this 20 year old patient. To me, it also points to the fact that the number of deaths in a given age group only tell part of the story. There are others who survive, yet may have lifelong health issues because of their COVID infection. Hi, scyfreestyler, my post wasn't meant to elicit a thread about who is at risk. I'm wondering how many fellow masters swimmers are not as concerned about placing family members at risk by going back into the pools. CDC says the chlorine kills the virus, yet no pool toys or pool equipment (in some pools) cannot be brought in. If the chlorine kills the virus, shouldn't it kill possible virus particles on pool toys and kickboards, etc.? It's just too contradictory. And as many have pointed out here, it's about the swimmers breathing hard next to us, the air itself, etc.
  • Former Member
    scyfreestyler, no problem. Actually, that video freaked me out even more. There is so much we don't know about this virus. Are you able to get back into swimming?
  • Former Member
    Hi, scyfreestyler, my post wasn't meant to elicit a thread about who is at risk. I'm wondering how many fellow masters swimmers are not as concerned about placing family members at risk by going back into the pools. CDC says the chlorine kills the virus, yet no pool toys or pool equipment (in some pools) cannot be brought in. If the chlorine kills the virus, shouldn't it kill possible virus particles on pool toys and kickboards, etc.? It's just too contradictory. And as many have pointed out here, it's about the swimmers breathing hard next to us, the air itself, etc. Didn't mean to derail your thread. There was some commentary above about young people being largely safe from COVID and I felt that the article was pertinent to the subject matter.
  • And, you're surprised by that? Just wait another week or two and see where the numbers are in many of the states. Sweden never closed, and their statistics are a disaster compared to their neighbors. New Zealand went on strict lock down, and ended up with only 1504 cases and 22 deaths. (I live in a county of 60,000 people, and we have had 24 deaths.). There are now ZERO cases in New Zealand! New Zealand may be a small country of only 4.8 million people; however, as a percentage of their population, those are some amazing coronavirus statistics compared to anywhere else in the world. Until people start taking this virus seriously, Gull is right. We aren't done with this, and we're not going to be done with this for a long time. Strap in. Agree. That said, Japan also did not go into a lockdown. And Japan has the lowest rate of any of the world's sizable economies. The difference, though, is that as soon as it came out, the people there automatically social distanced, and put on masks. The biggest factor in this, I believe, is how the population responds. And the US completely and totally failed the test, and anecdotally, continues to utterly fail.
  • Agree. That said, Japan also did not go into a lockdown. And Japan has the lowest rate of any of the world's sizable economies. The difference, though, is that as soon as it came out, the people there automatically social distanced, and put on masks. The biggest factor in this, I believe, is how the population responds. And the US completely and totally failed the test, and anecdotally, continues to utterly fail. Absolutely! The cultural differences between Japanese people and Americans couldn't be more clear than during this pandemic. The Japanese as a whole are much more compliant and respectful of each other. They also trust scientific facts and scientists much more than Americans do, where "fake news" has become the daily mantra for so many. It has been proven that cloth masks are anywhere from 50% (for a tea towel) to 80% (for a well-fitting multi-layered cloth mask) effective in contracting the virus; however, Americans are too vain and macho to wear them, and our country's leaders are not showing by example. It's "Do as I say, not as I do." Hypocrisy!
  • It has been proven that cloth masks are anywhere from 50% (for a tea towel) to 80% (for a well-fitting multi-layered cloth mask) effective in contracting the virus; however, Americans are too vain and macho to wear them, and our country's leaders are not showing by example. It's "Do as I say, not as I do." Hypocrisy! I had initially typed a bit more, but decided I didn't want to veer towards the political, but suffice it to say that we are probably on the same page. Regardless, I really think taht in this case, ignorance plays as much of a role as anyhtihng else. The numbers I have generally seen are that the mask is only about 15% effective for protecting the wearer when interacting with an infected person. HOwever, if the infected person is wearing a mask, it is about 85% effective. In the upper 90's if both are. But the point, I believe, is that people don't wear them because their preferred sources of news are saying they don't work. The sad thing is that the calls for re-opening are the loudest from those who refuse to wear them. Which has me allwww.youtube.com/watch
  • 15%? 67 King, I will stand by my 50-85% as stated in this article: theweek.com/.../truth-about-masks