Anyone concerned about risks to our family?

Former Member
Former Member
No matter what the CDC says about chlorine killing the virus, my family is very concerned about my return to the pool, due to those who spit, pee, sweat in the pool, and particularly the heavy breathing above the water by other swimmers. Not to mention that they don't 100% believe that chlorine kills the virus, since we are inundated with contradictory recommendations and cautions. Is anyone staying away from pools until it really is "safe" -- the cases don't rise significantly? I worry about being the carrier to my family, esp. my grandson, who I watch and adore. I admit, I'm concerned about safety above the water, no matter what precautions the pools say they are taking. I swam indoors and watched guards look the other way when people don't shower off before getting in, or spit in the pool, and I've seen worse that I won't share here.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Note: sorry for that WallOText. The board doesn't seem to let me make paragraphs. If someone tells me how I can format it, I will. *** I was unable - with repeated tries - to make paragraphs, so I put "***" where the breaks should be so it might be somewhat readable.
  • Former Member
    My point is that it's factually inaccurate to label Covid-19 "an older persons disease."
  • Former Member
    My point is that it's factually inaccurate to label Covid-19 "an older persons disease." Totally agree.
  • Former Member
    80% of the deaths are people over 64. Make sure your own oxygen mask is attached securely before trying to aid others.
  • Former Member
    80% of the deaths are people over 64. Make sure your own oxygen mask is attached securely before trying to aid others. Actually I'm only 62. And our hospital has plenty of PPE. But thanks for the advice.
  • Former Member
    One of the community pools will be opening, however, they host camps in the morning (busloads of the little darlings). They won't be in the lap pool, but they will be everywhere else on the grounds. I honestly think I wouldn't feel so reluctant if our State hadn't been inundated with cases. Every day I watched the numbers go up by at least 5000 per day until we hit over 150,000. It was surreal. I appreciate the conversation we are having about this subject.
  • Former Member
    It looks like it will be several months off swimming for me, because I live in Canada, where the scientists and health experts appear to be respected. Once those people say that I can swim lengths, then I will swim lengths. (I notice that in "certain countries" reopenings are happening at a fast pace, while the virus numbers are also hitting record numbers. Yes, I would be concerned about that.)
  • AS ONE OF THOSE IN THE 80.7 % GROUP, I am going to stay away from the pool till I can get a shot that will afford me at least some protection - whenever that may be! My grand kids are going to be the problem for me as I sometimes watch them for 8 hours at my house for my daughter.
  • Former Member
    AS ONE OF THOSE IN THE 80.7 % GROUP, I am going to stay away from the pool till I can get a shot that will afford me at least some protection - whenever that may be! My grand kids are going to be the problem for me as I sometimes watch them for 8 hours at my house for my daughter. I am leaning towards that option, orca. I would feel much safer once a vaccine is available. I would never forgive myself if I was the person who passed COVID onto a family member, b/c I had to swim. I love swimming, I feel as if a limb missing, and everything hurts without swimming in my life, but........
  • Former Member
    It's ultimately a question you will have to answer for yourself. None of us know you or your family, or the issues you may have to deal with if you go against their wishes. Perhaps there's a compromise? Is there a clean and safe lake you can swim in instead? I don't know what the water temperature is up there, but if it's feasible, it may be a safer option. Elaine, there are no clean safe lakes around here. As hard as it is, I'm trying to put myself in their place. Having to go back to work is a necessity. To my close family, swimming is something I should wait to da AFTER A VACCINE is available.