Have you ever swam a Masters National meet?

I know this is not the national forum spacebar, I want to thank everyone that work & timed & ran the 4 day meet. If you have never been to a National meet, you are missing something from your swimming life! I swam 6 individual events & 2 relays that taught me how to accept my age & speed both going up! The comradeship of my fellow swimmers raised my expectations of my dropping self esteem to help me. Many of the swimmers i did not know but, they cheered me on anyhow!
  • Swim - swam - swum I did all of these.. Yes the HEAT was unusually HOT even for AZ this time of the year! I also thanked many who ran -run-worked the 4 day meet. they did a great job now as they did in 2011!
  • JSC910 - I'm glad you had a + experience at the meet. Sometimes we forget that we need some fun in life other than family or work experiences.
  • This year they had the junior high's gym open and allowed swimmers to camp out in there to stay cool. I don't recall that being available in 2011 and it really helped a lot. Yes, the gym was open in 2011, and I ended up spending a lot of time in there. (The gym is where they had the vendors set up.) Still, I ended up a mess after a couple of days in that heat when I was outside! (As a side note, however, my body's autonomic nervous system was really screwed up for a few years there, and I now know what my body can and can't tolerate!)
  • Yes, the gym was open in 2011, and I ended up spending a lot of time in there. (The gym is where they had the vendors set up.) This year the vendors were outside, so basically the whole gym was open for swimmers to hang out.
  • The same thing happened in 2011, and I was unable to compete in my 200 breaststroke due to being sick from the heat. :whiteflag: I was miserable, and my husband was miserable being a spectator. :bitching: There was no way we were going to repeat THAT again :shakeshead:, so we sat this one out. Some bad luck with the weather this year as it has been 20 degrees cooler, sunny, and breezy the last few days. Despite kinda sucking myself, I also echo thanks to Paul Smith, Erin Shields, and all the volunteers for putting on a great meet in the "African heat."
  • The same thing happened in 2011, and I was unable to compete in my 200 breaststroke due to being sick from the heat. :whiteflag: I was miserable, and my husband was miserable being a spectator. :bitching: There was no way we were going to repeat THAT again :shakeshead:, so we sat this one out. This year they had the junior high's gym open and allowed swimmers to camp out in there to stay cool. I don't recall that being available in 2011 and it really helped a lot.
  • In the gym folding chairs and mats allowed swimmers to "chill" in the A C while waiting for the next event.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Wolf - do you swim on your own always? Maybe swim on you time schedule and join a team for the meets & relays. Just a thought. This is what I did- trained alone and then joined a friends team to have people to sit with and do relays with in Mesa. My local team is growing and hopefully will add some additional practice times, so maybe I'll swim with them next year if anyone goes.
  • Wolf - do you swim on your own always? Maybe swim on you time schedule and join a team for the meets & relays. Just a thought.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Yes! Last year was my first and I loved it! I really wanted to participate again this year but I can't find a team with good training hours.