Have you ever swam a Masters National meet?

I know this is not the national forum spacebar, I want to thank everyone that work & timed & ran the 4 day meet. If you have never been to a National meet, you are missing something from your swimming life! I swam 6 individual events & 2 relays that taught me how to accept my age & speed both going up! The comradeship of my fellow swimmers raised my expectations of my dropping self esteem to help me. Many of the swimmers i did not know but, they cheered me on anyhow!
  • Georgia Tech 2010 (as a USMS newbie!) Mesa 2011 Auburn, AL (LC) 2011 Greensboro, NC 2012 Mission Viejo, CA (LC) 2013 Maryland (LC) 2014 (following FINA World Championships in Montreal) Greensboro, NC 2016 I haven't made NQT's since prior to my hip surgery in 2014, so it's hard for me to justify spending a lot of $ to swim just three events. This year, I am going to the National Senior Games in Albuquerque, instead. I will be able to swim six individual events and two relays (if we can find a male backstroker around our age to join us). It will be an entirely new experience for me with all of the festivities they have planned, and we will be able to see how Albuquerque and Santa Fe have changed since last visiting there in the late 1980's.
  • Don't you mean "have you ever swum..."? :) 2019 was my 11th short course nationals.
  • I have always preferred LCM and I have been to 29. Only 6 SCY Nats, also 2 Worlds and 3 World Masters Games.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    Just got back from Mesa. I would say this- it was a truly wonderful experience. YES there were challenges- warm ups were crowded, it was unseasonably hot, the days were long and it required time away from work/family. I doubted whether it was "worth it" it to go- critiquing my speed, my training efforts and the use of family resources for something like this as an adult. I was so wrong! I realized the second I watched the first few races that this isn't about any of the same things as big meets as a college or age group athlete. People were focused on performance and surely we all LOVE to compete- but it was so social, so positive, so laid back, so diverse. The energy was positive despite the soul crushing heat/sun and it was really fun to see everyone swim so fast. I didn't feel at all silly for wearing a tech suit or caring about my times as a 36yo who is struggling to get back in shape- I felt glad that I had invested in the trip and made the effort. The officials, coaches and supporters were so sweet. I can't believe the endless water coolers filled, times recorded... such a BIG event. Lots of cool sponsors and teams with big showings. It was so much fun. I am already DYING to figure out when I can do this again!
  • Georgia Tech 2010 Greensboro 2012 This year I attended YMCA Masters Nationals in Orlando to try something different (it was awesome). My next USMS Nationals on the horizon is Richmond 2020, because I have not yet attended a Summer Nationals.
  • Went to Indy last year. This year dipped my foot back in USA-S and went to Sectionals. Hoping to make San Antonio next spring.
  • I've swum at 2: * 2002: Tempe, AZ (ASU's Mona Plummer Aquatic Center) * 2019: Mesa, AZ (Kino Aquatic Center) I did not have a good experience at all in 2002. So much so that I scratched my last event and didn't swim in any meets at all for 7-8 years. This year I was in the area anyway for an open water event, so I did 3 events at nationals (1000/500 free, and 200 ***). It was like going from one swimming extreme to another between the two. Other than the crowds and heat, it wasn't too bad. Although the warm-up lanes were busy, they weren't as bad as I remembered. It was nice to catch up with many swimming friends I've met over the years (and met some others from these forums for the first time in-person). It was surprising how many people I knew...or who knew me. I might go to San Antonio next year, since it is so close to where I live.
  • I had planned to swim at Indy last year, but had to drop out at the last minute due to some minor surgery. I was able to swim at the Pan Am Masters in Orlando in July. It was a great experience.
  • S Yes the HEAT was unusually HOT even for AZ this time of the year! The same thing happened in 2011, and I was unable to compete in my 200 breaststroke due to being sick from the heat. :whiteflag: I was miserable, and my husband was miserable being a spectator. :bitching: There was no way we were going to repeat THAT again :shakeshead:, so we sat this one out.
  • The same thing happened in 2011, and I was unable to compete in my 200 breaststroke due to being sick from the heat. :whiteflag: I was miserable, and my husband was miserable being a spectator. :bitching: There was no way we were going to repeat THAT again :shakeshead:, so we sat this one out. I really didn't think it was too bad. But I didn't hang out at the pool all day... On Thursday, I warmed up at another pool about 15 min away, just did an easy 300 or so before my 1000 (I probably got there around 11:30); a friend counted for me, and I counted for him, then we left around 2pm. I did get there early Friday, but only swam 2 events and was done at about noon, then left.